seed and plant catalogues

• 16 Replies

Truffle

• Experienced Member
seed and plant catalogues
« on: October 09, 2012, 15:45 »
Hi All,

About to receive my seed catalogue from the lottie association, so I am starting to plan ahead for next year, which I hope to be drier and more productive than last year!!!

I am planing on planting more raspberries and soft fruit and also a huge amount of lavender for soap making and lavender bags etc. (In the form of plants NOT seeds)

If I remember correctly our issued catalogue only catered for seeds and potatoes, which does not really help my fore mentioned plan.

Can anyone recommend a good company/catalogue for my requirements?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: seed and plant catalogues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 15:48 »
For lavender plug plants, I'd suggest a company such as Thompson & Morgan for starters..

http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=lavender+plug+plants

It just so happens I was searching something else. :D ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 15:53 »
I got my Lavender plug plants from ebay  :D

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 15:56 »
I bought some fruit trees from http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ last winter and the company seemed ok to use and reasonably priced.  Some folk have an issue with them because they are difficult to contact - no phone, just web-based queries - but I opened a query and they were pretty quick to answer me.  They had many deals last year through groupon (examples here) so might be worthwhile keeping an eye out for more.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 18:54 »
J parkers the dutch bulb company do a wholesale side as well. Our gardening club use it and i have just bought 25 Zeva raspberry canes for £10.00

savbo

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 19:50 »
Hi All,

About to receive my seed catalogue from the lottie association, so I am starting to plan ahead for next year, which I hope to be drier and more productive than last year!!!

I am planing on planting more raspberries and soft fruit and also a huge amount of lavender for soap making and lavender bags etc. (In the form of plants NOT seeds)

If I remember correctly our issued catalogue only catered for seeds and potatoes, which does not really help my fore mentioned plan.

our lottie get the Kings catalogue (which have a scheme with NSALG), which has a bit of pretty much everything, and this year's is in colour with pics. Got my list going already

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 21:59 »
I bought some fruit trees from http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ last winter and the company seemed ok to use and reasonably priced.  Some folk have an issue with them because they are difficult to contact - no phone, just web-based queries - but I opened a query and they were pretty quick to answer me.  They had many deals last year through groupon (examples here) so might be worthwhile keeping an eye out for more.

I have looked at them previously and found them expensive. I even thought their Groupon deals were expensive!
Maybe it's just me...
But Stella Cherry trees @ £35 ?  I paid £4 at Aldi !
Kiwi fruit Jenny £14.95? I think it was about £3 at Wilkinsons.
And seriously £59 for a black bamboo plant!
I do keep going back looking for a bargain though. ::)

BTW, they do have a phone number, it's an 0844 number, but you can ring them, maybe its new.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 22:11 »
Thanks guys,

Have had a good look at the recommended sites and found T&M has a good deal on lavender plug plants.

Totally forgot about Aldi, I have had some cracking fruit plants from them in the past. Sadly our wilkinsons store seem to forget that plants actually need to be watered!!! so I normally stay clear of them.

Im not sure if we had Kings catalogue last year, just didnt remember them having fruit canes, im sure I will find out shortly.

Many Thanks again

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 22:35 »
I use http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ for veg. Everything they sell is open pollunated so they are better for seed saving and can use them next year + they have a really interesting variety of stuff. For anything I can't get there I go for http://www.organiccatalogue.com/.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 22:47 »
yes real seeds good for me too.

Buckingham nurseries for friut 5 raspberries £7.50 trees about £15.00 choice of rootstock and they will give advise over the phone good website too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:19 »
I have looked at them previously and found them expensive. I even thought their Groupon deals were expensive...I do keep going back looking for a bargain though. ::)

BTW, they do have a phone number, it's an 0844 number, but you can ring them, maybe its new.
Yeah could be new, it is almost a year since I used them.  I'll take your word for them being expensive as I'm not very experienced or used many suppliers yet.  Dutch bulb and thomson-morgan certainly look cheaper after a quick browse so I'll try one of them next  ;) Cheers.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:53 »
Auntimogs put a really useful link to Plantoffers earlier this year:

http://www.plantoffers.com/az.html

Amongst others, they have current offers on both lavender plugs and raspberry canes - and those seem to have lasted all season.

You might want to keep an eye on their lists.

Surbie

Juli

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07 »
Hi everyone,

I just had a look at the plantoffers website, and they seem to have quite a few things free for postage. How can that be? What's the catch? Does anyone know?

Juli

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 11:10 »
I don't think that there is one  :)

It's a site that is used by magazines and papers for their gardening offers. By going through the site, you bypass the magazines and reap the rewards of postage-only...

According to the terms and conditions, the plants are supplied by T&M.

Surbie
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:11 by surbie100 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 11:17 »
There's no catch, a few of us have recently bought free plants pay p&p only offers from T&M  ;)

The offers come up regularly via magazines and papers, as surbie says, or via email if you've subscribed to email from the seed merchants  ;)

Maybe that's the only catch  :unsure: they get your email addy to offer you lots of other enticing goodies  :D

xx
seed catalogues

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:09
by neal
xx
seed catalogues

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 10:15
by sunshineband
xx
Seed Catalogues

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 06:27
by FatGaz
xx
Seed Catalogues

Started by Helen_uk on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 22:19
by Porffor

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 30 queries.