to cover or not

• 5 Replies

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
to cover or not
« on: October 02, 2012, 15:48 »
this probably covered elswere but what are peoples opinions on wether to cover the ground not bein used over winter or to leave bare to the elements ? im new to this only 1 full year ish and just thinkin wats best to do ,farmers dont cover bare ground over winter so why the need on allotments?

Fisherman

Re: to cover or not
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 15:56 »
Unless you are trying to kill a severe infestation of weeds I would leave it roughly dug for the weather to break it down. Apply manure / compost as per your crop requirements i.e. manure for potatoes and greens and compost for root crops. Perhaps cover areas with plastic sheeting in February / March in order to warm up the soil for any early sowing / planting.

crh75

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 15:57 »
There is no right or wrong, generally people with light sandy soil may want to cover (including using green manure) to stop rain washing nutrients and soil away and people with heavy soil would tend to leave the soil bare for frosts to help break it up.

Farmer's don't cover because it would not be practical.

Fatfingers

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:33 »
You could cover it over with a garden fleece as this will keep the soil warmer, allow rain through and stop wind dispersed seeding landing on the plot - and its relatively cheap. Just bough some off eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=garden+fleece and its certainly par for the course. Just make sure you pegs it down well or cove the edges with bricks or soil.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 16:43 »
ive got visqueen that i can cover my beds with but just wondered the pros and cons ,ive got some covered in manure ,some covered with visqueen,got a largish bed covered we green manure and still a couple to complete before worse weather sets in so like said just after opinions from more experienced allotment holders

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36 »
You could cover it over with a garden fleece as this will keep the soil warmer, allow rain through and stop wind dispersed seeding landing on the plot - and its relatively cheap. Just bough some off eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=garden+fleece and its certainly par for the course. Just make sure you pegs it down well or cove the edges with bricks or soil.

I would not cover the soil with fleece over winter. Fleece lets light through and keeps the soil nice and warm so ideal conditions for weed germination. If you are not careful and keep the weeds under the fleece in check you will end up with beds covered in weeds in spring. And the weeds will grow a lot faster than without fleece so it can happen they already flower and seed under the fleece which makes the problem worse.

I would cover the soil with green manure, manure or compost. If you want to cover it with something artificial you should use material which does not let the light through such as weed suppressant fabric or black plastic.

xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
should i cover a bed once ive dug it?

Started by eco-friendly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 11:00
by splodger

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 29 queries.