Bindweed......I'm losing the will.....help...

• 9 Replies

alaj

Bindweed......I'm losing the will.....help...
« on: September 28, 2012, 19:25 »
Hey all
We have 190ft of what feels like just flippin battle of the bindweed and nettles that we've beaten back to the periphery.
We have put in raised beds etc and have been this summer constructing a greenhouse (I'm being helped by 4 small children so the greenhouse is taking a while) but the pesky bindweed....I am seriously worried I may wake up one morning bound by it and sporting it's annoyingly cheerful white flowers  :blush:
Any tips other than perseverance bordering on OCD???
Also, where's a good place to order Perspex from for the sides of my greenhouse most at risk from wee folk?
Thanks all  :)
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

Kleftiwallah

Re: Bindweed......I'm losing the will.....help...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 19:34 »
Bindweed, just carry on cutting it back and seeking out the roots.  The one good thing about bindweed is that the roots are brilliant white and easily seen in the ground.

I think it would be better if you looked for "Macralon" rather than Perspex as the latter can crack and shatter.

Cheers,    Tony.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 19:35 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

alaj

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 19:38 »
 :(Thought that might be the case..... Horrid stuff....it keeps wrapping around everything....it's worse than kids with sticky fingers!
Just looking up macralon now,thanks for that. It does look a good option. Might get finished sooner than I thought.

Benandbill

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 19:44 »
Blooming horrible stuff bindweed, I have loads of it on a plot I took on in November.  Not only that, I also have loads of mare's tail, brambles and thistles.  What makes it even worse still is about a third od the garden has a lot of clay in the soil and it's really shallow.  Someone told me the people who had it before us threw a load of the top soil down the bank with the grass  >:(

alaj

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 19:50 »
That's bordering on criminal! Why on earth would they do that? Brain storm?! Sigh....
The previous occupants here wanted it to be a solely wildlife friendly preserve which is ok but....they were the ones that planted the problems :wacko: yeeha....
I've got chickens busy clearing up the bugs,we're clearing,pruning,composting you name it but Lordy is it ever a labour of love n devotion!
But,freecycle yielded a 99% complete greenhouse,the raised beds are in,we will get there if only the bindweed doesn't get me first.....

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:06 »
I think with bindweed the secret is to pull every bit you can get as soon as you see it pop through the soil. Never let it grow at all - I read the other day that it will also  root from bits lying along the soil. The problem is that you need to be able to visit your plot quite a lot to do  this. It does get better. The new plants that grow from bits left behind do not have deep roots and pull out easily. I do find it much harder to remove it from raised beds where it takes root in corners and under the wood and you can't get at the root without damaging the raised bed. On my own plot, my beds are flat and edged with bricks level with the ground, if weeds take root under one I can just lift an individual brick and dig out the root. As Tony says if you just keep cutting it back it should eventually exhaust itself.  :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:22 »
Insert a bamboo cane next to the bindweed and train the weed up it. Mix up your weedkiller in a jam jar and place next to the bamboo cane. Slide the bindweed off the cane and into the jar. Cover the jar to stop water getting in and wait. Bindweed is guaranteed to die.

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 17:32 »
Insert a bamboo cane next to the bindweed and train the weed up it. Mix up your weedkiller in a jam jar and place next to the bamboo cane. Slide the bindweed off the cane and into the jar. Cover the jar to stop water getting in and wait. Bindweed is guaranteed to die.
Genius  :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 17:41 »
It loves my new fencing I put in at the plot...  :wacko:  so i have sprayed them now that the veg is sort of finished... it is dying off nicely!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 17:49 »
It loves my new fencing I put in at the plot...  :wacko:  so i have sprayed them now that the veg is sort of finished... it is dying off nicely!!

But might need another dose in the Spring -- it is very resilient  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
I'm losing my blueberries!

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 21:03
by angelavdavis
xx
losing the slug war

Started by Mahogony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 21:40
by Mahogony
xx
losing against the caterpillars

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 10:41
by titch
xx
Losing our plots

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 12:10
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.897 seconds with 28 queries.