Help..sick chicken

• 10 Replies

Kezza

Help..sick chicken
« on: September 21, 2012, 21:09 »
Hello

Yesterday I noticed my columbian black tail hen aged nearly 3 was behaving differently.

She's standing more hunched and lying down alot under the coop or table etc.  When shes lying down, her tail goes up and down when breathing.  The others don't seem to do this.

I may be wrong but her comb looks darker and I think the red around her face looks darker too.  When walking, it looks like her feet are going slightly inwards???  In the mornings she isn't coming out, when I went up to feed them their breakfast this morning she eventually came out.  Her bottom looks a little messy but I can't see anything.

Tonight when I went up to check on them, I found her collapsed by the coop, I picked her up and she seemed keen to get back into the coop.  If she is still with
us in the morning, I shall contact the vet.

Any idea's anyone, what could be wrong??  I have 3 other hens who are well, one is broody at the moment. Thank you.

grinling

Re: Help..sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 21:38 »
Has she got a broken egg inside?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 22:05 »
If she hasn't been wormed recently that could be the problem.  Flubenvet rather than any herbal remedy is best.  Broken egg or soft shelled egg could be another.  A warm bath for 20 minutes or so should help her to pass the egg by relaxing her muscles.  Make sure she I dried gently with a towel then hairdryer on cool setting.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kezza

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 23:00 »
Hi, thank you for your replies.  She was wormed recently but with Vermex I must admit. I will definitely be switching to flubenvet.  I might sound stupid, but my chickens have always been pretty healthy up to now, but how can you tell if it's a broken egg inside her?

Thanks.

Kezza

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:27 »
Morning..

My chicken (Maltilda) made it through the night.  I have just bathed her in warm water for 20 mins and gently blow dried her.  Her abdomen is very swollen and she can't seem to stand now (curling her toes under and lying on her side), her breathing is quick.

I had a little feel with gloves on around her vent, but to be honest I really don't know anything about poking around chickens nether regions, and didn't go poking around in case I did more damage.  I am going to make her comfortable in a cardboard box with straw and see over the next hour or so.  Then if still not happy I will take her to the vet.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:49 »
Hi Kezza glad she made it through the night.  If you compare the feel of one of your other hens with Matilda that might help you know what is abnormal.  Her swollen abdomen could mean that she is egg bound.  I don't know of any treatment for that so hopefully a more experienced member will advise you.

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50 »
Could it be sour crop?

Kezza

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 17:40 »
Hi There

Thank you for your replies.  I gave Matilda a bath as stated, and settled her down, I was still not happy so took her to the vet.  The vet thought it didn't look good as she was so extended.

She explained that it could be an egg that had gone back up the oviduct and maybe broke causing infection.  She took her into the examining room while I waited outside, but came out a minute or so later and was sad to tell me that Matilda died before she could even examine her properly  :(

She explained that I did everything right by bathing her (thank you for your tip!) and there was really nothing I could have done to save her.  Very sad day. 

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 20:31 »
 :(  So sorry Kezza.  You did do everything right so be proud of that.  We all have hard lessons to learn which is part of keeping any pet.
Sending you big hugs.   :)

grinling

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 21:12 »
Sorry to hear the news. xx

Kezza

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:44 »
Thanks guys.

Yes it's a big learning curve...will know what to look out for if it happens again.  Fingers crossed it won't!!

Cheers x

xx
Sick Chicken Help please

Started by Alec on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 22:36
by jill247
thumbup
Sick chicken

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 11:21
by ANHBUC
xx
Sick chicken??

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 10:19
by mad mark
xx
sick chicken help pls

Started by f7rr3ll on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 28 queries.