pan squashes

• 5 Replies

hallaman

pan squashes
« on: September 21, 2012, 15:28 »
 :wub: Does anyone know a good idea for cooking with pan squashes ?
Keep calm and keep digging

Auntiemogs

Re: pan squashes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 15:36 »
Lots of recipes online for stuffing & baking them.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 15:43 »
I have some and found them quite bland, but tried using them in this soup recipe (substituting for the butternut) and it is really, really good.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Wisley/Wisley-pdfs/Peter-Osborne-recipes/Peter-Osborne-2-30pm-recipes

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 15:51 »
I also like them in a salad or even sometimes just to gnaw on.  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 16:12 »
I think they're like any other squash aren't they? - a vehicle for another flavour or combination of flavours.  You therefore don't want to drown them in overpowering spices or whatever, but just enough subtlety to allow the squash itself to shine.  One thing I hate is when squash of any sort is overcooked, watery and mushy, so I usually cook it so it's still got a bit of a bite, like pasta.

Layered with lovely ripe toms from the greenhouse and some sauteed onions (cut long and thin) along with torn basil, grated parmesan and plenty of black pepper and then baked in the oven is a favourite in our house  :)

hallaman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 19:45 »
 Thanks for the ideas. They sound goooood. Glad about that because we grew pan squashes a bit by accident and have got plenty of them. Will look to do something with them tomorrow. Just the old classic vegetable stew and dumplings tonight with everything but the dumplings from the patch. Got to admit it makes me feel good and yes,i got to say it, a little superior. He says flicking a slightly disdainful look in the direction of the supermarket ! :)

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 29 queries.