Herbicide treatment on neighbouring plot

• 20 Replies

monty9

Re: Herbicide treatment on neighbouring plot
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48 »
The council had now advised me that they are going to use "Glyphosate with Tryclopyr with adjuvants to help the spray solution stick to the vegetation."
Does anybody have any information on using these chemicals and their effects on neighbouring plots?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 18:03 »
It's triclopyr on the defra pesticide database.

There's a lot of different products containing it so can't produce a particular product authorisation.

If you put triclopyr into the "active" field here then you'll see.

Other than that, have a look at the Wikipaedia page.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

monty9

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 22:05 »
Thank you again for your help.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 18:29 »
The bottom line, is that applied properly by a professional under the correct conditions, these chemicals should pose no risk to your plot.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 22:44 »
Sorry to hear of your situation monty.

I would say that the first port of call would be to contact NSALG asap to ask their advice on the matter.  They may be able to advise on whether they think soil samples should be taken on your plot prior to and after treatments in order to prove contamination, etc.

Nonetheless, I would also refer this matter, clearly citing your concerns and referencing your sources, to your local Councillor asap, cc'ing the Environmental Health and Allotments teams as a matter of course.  I think you should also mention that you are currently seeking advice from NSALG.

In this correspondence, I would request clarification and assurance of the following points in writing:

-What exactly are the chemicals being used.
-In view of the advice given to the plotholder (why would you need to have a growing ban of 18 months if it was a Glyphosate based spray? :nowink:), what assurances can be offered as to the safety of crops on the adjoining plots during the spraying process (ie, do they intend to screen off adjoining plots, etc).
- What assurances can be offered on concerns of contamination risk to rainwater runoff onto other plots (obv. if Glyphosate - fine but if it is a combination you need clarification).
-A copy of the method statement, including health and safety and risk assessment the chosen contractor is utilising for the job.
-How any risks to your plot are going to be mitigated and compensation issued should any soil samples (if you wish to go down this route) be found to show contamination.
-A halt to any works proceeding until the above has been confirmed.
-A copy of the planned spraying schedule so you are aware of them in future and the name of an officer that you can liaise with to discuss the treatment.

Hopefully, as rowan57 states, these SHOULD pose no risk to your plot if applied correctly.  However, you need assurances in writing that this is going to be the case.  Surely as a leaseholder, you should at least be provided with this as a minimum.

Should you get nowhere, I would find out the publication cutoff for your local paper and get onto them pronto.

Like Rachel (Mdme Cholet), I would be unhappy finding this out.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 22:47 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

monty9

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 22:59 »
Thank you for the advice. The council are now going to use Kurtail and will be erecting screening so that none of the chemicals drift . When this will take place is  still uncertain .

xx
Botrytis - Help with treatment please.

Started by adri on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 11:00
by mumofstig
xx
Lawn treatment help

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 12:24
by mrs bouquet
xx
Weed treatment

Started by lightyears on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 06:26
by DD.
xx
Lawn treatment

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2024, 09:15
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 37 queries.