What size????

• 13 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
What size????
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:29 »
Would a 6x4 ft shed accommodate 10 silkies? What size nesting area would be needed? Do they need a seperate sleeping area? The size of the run is also baffling me!!!
The red ants nest i found yesterday is where i was hoping to put my chickens but thanks, got that little problem sorted.
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

Selkie

What size????
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 10:31 »
size of the run should be as big as possible, especially if you are planning it to be permanent (rather than movable)

muntjac

What size????
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:36 »
yes it would fit them nicly .raised off the floor  a few inches  with wire around the base/// 14 inch nest boxes .6  :wink: ,the run can be 10ft by 10ft  by 6ft high with the shed inside it . or 12 by 4ft x 6ft.with a roof . corregated plastic sheets come in 12 ft  :wink: slope the plastic away to the front 4ft section .have a gutter to use the water in the garden , make the door 32 inch wide .( barrow width  :wink: ) and as high as you like  have hanging feeders on the walls etc and drinkers  this will help keep vermin away  :wink:  :D
still alive /............

Selkie

What size????
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:37 »
isn't a 10 by 10 foot run a bit small for 10 hens?

ours is 9 by 19 foot and we only have two hens (though i want to get another couple soon)

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
What size????
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:38 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
size of the run should be as big as possible, especially if you are planning it to be permanent (rather than movable)

good morning hows the wheather in your part of the world? its raining here so i wont be going to my allotment today.
the run is going to be permenant so will bear that in mind thank you :D  :D

Selkie

What size????
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:45 »
very showery here today but it rained constantly yesterday so i'm happy with showers

if you have the space i'd really go with a bigger run; ours is so big that i've been able to put up temporary fencing (just green net) so that the grass can recover in those parts - then i will remove them in a few weeks and the hens can have nice fresh grass to scratch in!!

our run is permanent (we'd soo much trouble getting the fencing posts into our stony soil) so we decided to make it bigger - i think it gives the hens a bit of variety and stimulation

muntjac

What size????
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:49 »
i had 12 marans in a shed that size with a confinement run of 10x 10 and they did fine .. the coop is only for sleeping  :wink: i reckon being silkies they are only small anyways and fine for that area 100 sq feet / 10 birds = 90sq ft left  :wink:

Selkie

What size????
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 10:54 »
well personally i wouldn't put that many hens in our size run (9 by 19ft)

muntjac

What size????
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 10:55 »
well personally i wouldn't put that hens in our size run (9 by 19ft)

:wink:  :)

Selkie

What size????
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 10:58 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i had 12 marans in a shed that size with a confinement run of 10x 10 and they did fine .. the coop is only for sleeping  :wink: i reckon being silkies they are only small anyways and fine for that area 100 sq feet / 10 birds = 90sq ft left  :wink:

but don't forget to subtract the area of the shed too if it's inside the fence-which would be 24 sq foot

muntjac

What size????
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 11:00 »

but don't forget to subtract the area of the shed too if it's inside the fence-which would be 24 sq foot

why subtract it ,,,,,, they still have access to it ? :) so it has to count in the maths  :wink:

Selkie

What size????
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 11:08 »
.. the coop is only for sleeping

regardless, i personally think that's still too small but it's up to collette to decide

muntjac

What size????
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 11:56 »
.. the coop is only for sleeping

regardless, i personally think that's still too small but it's up to collette to decide

oks  :wink:  :lol:

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
in reply
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 17:13 »
thanks for all the advice!!! so really as in most things the bigger the better :D i was gunna ask how i would repair the grass but now know so once again thank you it really is a help  :)  :)

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
size of run?

Started by Janschooks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 12:40
by joyfull
xx
What size?

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 09:01
by Roll Roll
xx
Size of new run?

Started by ReaderRabbit on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 00:00
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 28 queries.