SIZE OF SEEDS

• 11 Replies

artsbeds

SIZE OF SEEDS
« on: September 04, 2012, 18:10 »
Hi, does anyone know if the size of the veg relates to the size of seed sown.?
i.e. would a large seed potato produce large potatoes and would a small potato produce small ones?
likewise would a small onion set produce small onions? etc. etc.

Also is it advisable to throw away green potatoes, or can they be used for seed potatoes?
as I have many of them this year.

any advice truly welcome
thanks

allotmentann

Re: SIZE OF SEEDS
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 18:54 »
Not sure how it works with potatoes, but the smallest onion sets are supposed to be the best. Heard a very interesting item on radio 4's food programme about mustard and the size of the seed this week, which certainly gave me lots to think about (turns out that although Colemans preferred larger seed and spent years filtering out the smaller seed, that yields went down without the smaller seed). So it would seem there can be more involved in a good crop than seed size. :)

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 19:46 »
I've been musing on a similar question now it is pea seed saving time again. (Champion of England, by the way, which I have been growing and saving for years)

Should I save seeds from the biggest and best pods, even though the plant is scrawny and weaker,  or should I save pods from strong healthy plants even though the pod may be smaller with fewer peas in them.

Ideally I want to save big pea pods from strong healthy plants,  but they are in short supply this year. Over the years I might end up breeding a strain of big strong bushy pea plants, with no pods.....

Or doesn't it matter what pods you select for saving.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:14 »
When deciding on what seed to save, you should look at the plant not the seed and decide which characteristics you would like to keep going - apply Darwin's theory of selection.  Before modern horticultural techniques, farmers have been doing it since the stone age and especially during the Victorian era to grow grain strains which have higher yields different to the original.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:35 »
Someone told me years ago, that you save runner bean seed from a plant from which you haven't taken one single pod, therefore letting it grow to it's full potential, and produce beans without hindrance!

I suspect this may be a rule of thumb, but I'd also heard that small onion sets grow the best, although my small onion sets grew even smaller onions this year, in fact they nearly shrunk...;0(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41 »
THIS explains how garlic and shallots behave.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:10 »
I think with onions the smaller sets are supposed to be better not for eventual size, but because they are less likely to bolt and are therefore better for storing.  :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:33 »
Have a look at www.realseeds.co.uk. they have lots of advice about saving seeds too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46 »
When I plant my seed potatoes, I tend to start the rows with the biggest spud and end the rows with the runts. I've not done any scientific measurements so take with a pinch of salt, but I haven't noticed any difference in yeilds between the largs and the small seed potatoes.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

sarajane

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:47 »
Regarding your green potatoes, please throw them away and do not use for seed.

You should always buy fresh certified seed potatoes or you run the risk of disease on your plot

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 17:10 »
With regard to seed pots, my OH's father was a farm worker who used to plant potatoes as part of his job. He advises that you use the ones that are the size of a hen's egg.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 19:58 »
When deciding on what seed to save, you should look at the plant not the seed and decide which characteristics you would like to keep going - apply Darwin's theory of selection.  Before modern horticultural techniques, farmers have been doing it since the stone age and especially during the Victorian era to grow grain strains which have higher yields different to the original.

True. This is exactly the dilemma!  By selecting for the plant itself, rather than its crop or total yield, you could gradually bias the variety's evolution towards big bushy plants with pretty flowers, but with low yields.  I now know that peas are assumed to self, so every pea from one plant will be generically identical.  so I agree with you that I should select for the plant with the heaviest overall yield.  This is what I am looking for. Not show winning pods, or darkest green leaves.  So it doesn't matter if I save scrawny seeds.

P.S same thing applies to the heritage toms I have been growing and saving seeds for 15 years.  After 15 generations I wonder how close I still am to the original variety?  Toms self  too.

xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
What size pot?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 11:47
by digalotty
xx
Bed size

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 17:01
by milkman

Page created in 1.154 seconds with 29 queries.