Carpet tiles or tarpaulin?

• 19 Replies

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
Carpet tiles or tarpaulin?
« on: August 26, 2012, 23:49 »
 ???
Hi I'm about to get my first allotment, only one quarter.
I've heard, to stop any weeds growing once I've turned the soil that it would be a good idea to cover up and leave till Spring. Any good? Tarpaulin or carpet tiles?
Thanks
Manda

allotmentann

Re: Carpet tiles or tarpaulin?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:54 »
Hi Manda, you may need to check that carpet is allowed on your allotment, as it isn't on many. Personally, I wouldn't use any type of carpet on my plot (and it isn't allowed anyway), as carpet contains many chemicals that may leach into the soil. Also weeds can grow through carpet and make it a nightmare to remove. If it is just a short term measure you could also try using cardboard, which is free and easy to get hold of! (And good for compost too!). :)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:03 »
Once you've turned it over you could cover it with a thick layer of horse manure, and then leave it over winter so the weather can get at it.

Well . . . that's what's been suggested to me anyway, and I'm pretty new at the game myself!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Kirpi

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:19 »
another thing to consider with carpet is the chemicals that will be leaching into your soil through the winter, which you will then eat through your veggies the next year.

I would use sheets of corrugated cardboard and possibly cover this over with black polythene. The cardboard will have rotted in by spring.

Better still, try a few lasagne beds and never dig again - but that's my preference!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21 »
another thing to consider with carpet is the chemicals that will be leaching into your soil through the winter, which you will then eat through your veggies the next year.

I would use sheets of corrugated cardboard and possibly cover this over with black polythene. The cardboard will have rotted in by spring.

I do believe that is what allotmentann has already said!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 21:52 »
Thanks everyone, can't believe what a novice I am and going to be on such a steep learning curve over the next year.
Happy days!
Manda

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:17 »
 :lol: It is amazing how much you learn in a very short time! And even more amazing how much more there is left to learn - but that is part of the fun! :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:29 »
:lol: It is amazing how much you learn in a very short time! And even more amazing how much more there is left to learn - but that is part of the fun! :)
and what you can do for free with recycled stuff remeber you're a womble.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:08 »
Hi Manda
I'm a complete novice myself, but I've got a similar issue to you. I've got half a plot which is pretty brambly, the other half I'm working on. The brambly part I've covered in cardboard and weebmatting to kill stuff off, and I'll only get 'round to preparing it sometime next year.

For this year I've dug over 6 out of 12 beds so far, but I'll be leaving them open over the winter to allow any seeds I've turned up to sprout, so that I can weed them out. The seeds are going to be there one way or another, and I'm paranoid that come spring time I'll not be able to tell the difference between my freshly sprouting veg and freshly sprouting weeds. Best give the weeds a chance now while I can still do something about them.
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

yaxley

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 22:27 »
Corrugated Cardboard sounds like a great weed suppresser better than the carpet but does it contain any glues in the making process that could be harmful to the soil when it rots down ? ..
Grow organic as nature intended

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:44 »
I was told on here ealier in the year that cardboard is made with veg dyes most boxes are taped or staples together no much glue used

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 07:16 »
Corrugated Cardboard sounds like a great weed suppresser better than the carpet but does it contain any glues in the making process that could be harmful to the soil when it rots down ? ..
I believe that some types of corrugated card may be glued together, a quick search of google will describe glue  used to stick the layers, however, it is not as easy to find out which glues. I found this link which seems to suggest that glues are not used here.
http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/2008/02/i-recently-had.html

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 14:21 »
The seeds are going to be there one way or another, and I'm paranoid that come spring time I'll not be able to tell the difference between my freshly sprouting veg and freshly sprouting weeds. Best give the weeds a chance now while I can still do something about them.
If you sow your seeds in rows and label them, even if the labels come out (as mine do), you will be able to tell which are weeds (everywhere) and which are veg seedlings (in rows).
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

yaxley

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 21:58 »
I believe that some types of corrugated card may be glued together, a quick search of google will describe glue  used to stick the layers, however, it is not as easy to find out which glues. I found this link which seems to suggest that glues are not used here.
http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/2008/02/i-recently-had.html

Thanks for that i will be using cardboard now that i know it is safe to use  :)

dankay123

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 22:31 »
i was in the same situation but i have had major sucess with straw

xx
Leeks and land tiles

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 16:41
by Goosegirl
xx
tarpaulin???

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 16:52
by Jamrock
clip
cover with tarpaulin - Right Or Wrong?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 16:15
by Armleywhite
xx
Do I replace the Tarpaulin over my compost heap?

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 21:37
by Christine

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 29 queries.