Freezing Rhubarb

• 24 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Freezing Rhubarb
« on: August 23, 2012, 17:26 »
What's the best way to freeze rhubarb?  We're going away in a couple of days and I'm not going to have time to make the 'marmajam' and chutney before we depart.  Can I trim it, cut it into pieces and open freeze it?  We're away for two weeks, so I don't think I dare leave it that long without doing something to it!

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Re: Freezing Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 17:46 »
we freeze our rhubarb for wine making, we just chop it up into inch long bits, put it into plastic bags and then straight into the freezer,hope that helps.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 17:56 »
Prepped and froze 15 lb of rhubarb last week.

Prepare it as usual and slice it into chunks. I then bag it up into 1lb bags so it is easy to take out and make it up into a recipe. Mine is going into rhubarb and ginger, rhubarb aoole and elderflower and rhubarb and raspberry jams.

Did you know that because raspberries were so expensive the Victorians made a false raspberry jam with rhubarb and they made artificial pips out of wood.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40 »
That's great - thanks for both replies.  Do you find it affects the pectin levels at all, Mrs B? 

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:46 »
That's great - thanks for both replies.  Do you find it affects the pectin levels at all, Mrs B? 

I haven't noticed a drop in pectin levels Cheshire. Athough both the recipes I have devised have some grated cooking apple in which helps the set anyway.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:40 »
Mine is going into rhubarb and ginger, rhubarb apple and elderflower and rhubarb and raspberry jams.

Thanks - I don't think it would matter for either my rhubarb & ginger chutney or the rhubarb & orange marmajam, but I've had a request for some plain rhubarb jam as the person concerned can't eat citrus fruit ... adding grated apple therefore sounds like a plan!  Would it be at all possible to let me have your recipe for Rhubarb, Apple & Elderflower?    :):)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 15:24 »
Yes, of course. Did have a nasty minute there, couldn't find where I had put it.  I scribble over so many different preserving books when I adapt recipes that I forget which book I have put them in. Really must get organised to write them up in my big red book. :wub:

It does have lemons in it too but with the apple it probably won't matter about having the lemons in to get it to set.

I will give you my recipe as it stands and you can adapt to leave out the  lemons.

3 lb rhubarb
2 lb apples.. I used Bramleys but you could use a mixture of windfalls
3 lemons
5 lb sugar
10 tablespoons elderflower cordial.

Layer the rhubarb with the sugar and lemon juice and leave over night.
Simmer the apple in just enough water until it is tender and the juices have evaporated
Put all the ingreients apart form the elderflower cordial i to the jam pan and bring to the boil.
Boil until setting point is reached.
Off the heat add the elderflower cordial and pot on. :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 15:30 »
MANY thanks for the recipe - sorry, as I messaged you earlier too so apologies if you feel bombarded!!  It's just I promised I'd make this for her for the weekend ...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 15:33 by cheshirecheese »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 15:39 »
MANY thanks for the recipe - sorry, as I messaged you earlier too so apologies if you feel bombarded!!  It's just I promised I'd make this for her for the weekend ...  ::)

No worries at all my love. Glad to return a recipe for the chilli jam. :D :D

mattwragg94

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 16:55 »
cheshirecheese, have you had a look at vals rhubarb jam recipe, i made it earlier on in the year and its fab!!!, infact im planning on making some more this weekend with some frozen rhubarb  ;)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 18:49 »
Thanks, but no good I'm afraid as not only can she not have citrus, but she doesn't like ginger!!  :( ::) >:(  Going to try Mrs Ball's recipe but without the lemons  ;)

Ali M

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 01:07 »
Thanks Mrs Ball! I've made some rhubarb and apple, and rhubarb and raspberry jam... but next I'm going to try the elderflower one... Yum! :dry: wonder what it tastes like with rose water...hmmm

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 10:21 »
I must be the last person left that still stops picking their rhubarb at midsummer..  :unsure:

plum crumble

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:35 »
I do the same as Mrs B - I now have 10 x 1lb bags frozen in the garage overspill freezer. Also already have 6 x half pound bags of blackberries - with plenty more left to pick. Have already made 10 jars of my beetroot orange chilli chutney. Now for my famous rhubarb and ginger chutney, and my blackberry brandy etc et c  :D
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05 »
Thanks Mrs Ball! I've made some rhubarb and apple, and rhubarb and raspberry jam... but next I'm going to try the elderflower one... Yum! :dry: wonder what it tastes like with rose water...hmmm

OOOOOO, rose water now that is a good idea. Very Middle Eastern. Will put that on my to do list.

xx
Freezing Veg

Started by Mr Trembly on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 22:18
by suziet88
xx
Freezing

Started by mashauk on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 23:10
by Cazzy
xx
Freezing veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:01
by Trillium
xx
re freezing

Started by flitwickone on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 19:46
by Trillium

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 28 queries.