Shredded conifer branches etc...

• 14 Replies

Growster...

Shredded conifer branches etc...
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:53 »
Yesterday, I shredded a couple of big barrow loads of lopped conifers, old brambles, hedging etc, and it is still green and warming nicely.

How long does the team think I have to leave it before I can use it for a mulch or a usable compost?

I'll probably chuck it in a separate bin for the time being! (It smells absolutely gorgeous!)

Goosegirl

Re: Shredded conifer branches etc...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53 »
About a year or more. I shred all my prunings and hedge trimmings and put them in one of those great big bags with handles builders have stuff like sand in, then I leave it open to the elements while I fill the other one. Smells all earthy when you come to use it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 14:43 »
About a year or more. I shred all my prunings and hedge trimmings and put them in one of those great big bags with handles builders have stuff like sand in, then I leave it open to the elements while I fill the other one. Smells all earthy when you come to use it.

Thanks Goosers - I'll do something similar, a year seems fine!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 17:39 »
Bear in mind that the conifers will be acidic, when you decide where / how to use it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 20:05 »
One hidden benefit of conifer clippings is they are quite good at deterring visiting cats!

I found this recently when I chucked some into the corner to rot away and then noticed next doors furry pest didnt come visiting for a while. Sadly once they started rotting down the smell goes and the cat returned!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

mattwragg94

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 20:06 »
Bear in mind that the conifers will be acidic, when you decide where / how to use it.

i was going to post that, but i did a little research online and a lot of sites say that thats a myth, hang on i'll give a link to the site i was looking at earlier on!

can find the exact site but heres quote from this site;http://forums.organicgardening.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2241078301/m/3361061053

Dr. Abigail Maynard, working at the UCONN Agricultural Research Station in New Haven, Connecticut found that pine needles, and oak leaves, used as a mulch on a planting bed did not significantly change the soils pH.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 20:25 by mattwragg94 »

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 20:15 »
Today, I just chucked them in a compartment in the compost heap, to forget them for a year, and the smell was to die for - marvellous!

A few seconds later, there was a shuffling sound and a huge rat clambered out of the main compost heap and climbed over the edge to escape into the hedge behind!

They belong here, and as long as they don't mangle too much they're welcome!

BTW, what do rats actually eat...?

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 20:16 »

Good, because we need some more ericaceous for the blueberries - thanks Yorkie!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 20:18 »
One hidden benefit of conifer clippings is they are quite good at deterring visiting cats!

I found this recently when I chucked some into the corner to rot away and then noticed next doors furry pest didnt come visiting for a while. Sadly once they started rotting down the smell goes and the cat returned!
The one cat who seems to wander around our plots has a field day as there are so many mice around the sheds, including ours, where one tiny rodent stared at me for several seconds before waddling off...

As long as they stay out of the edibles, I couldn't really care!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 20:55 »
=

=
 Dr. Abigail Maynard, working at the UCONN Agricultural Research Station in New Haven, Connecticut found that pine needles, and oak leaves, used as a mulch on a planting bed did not significantly change the soils pH.
someone needs to tell the RHS then they were still teaching it last year.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 20:58 »
=

=
someone needs to tell the RHS then they were still teaching it last year.

They're still warm Rachel, so I'm going to let them rot for a year, with other grungy bits - there's plenty of room!

But that's an interesting note you've made - thanks!

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:51 »
I dry conifer branches, or collect them when I see dead uns lying about locally or on the plots, and use them as firelighters for the plot. They're incendiary  :D   

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 20:17 »
I dry conifer branches, or collect them when I see dead uns lying about locally or on the plots, and use them as firelighters for the plot. They're incendiary  :D   

They are that CQ - definitely, and what a good idea!

Mrs G and I are shattered from just a couple of hours down at both plots, and then another hour, freezing it all!

Auntiemogs gave us some seed for squash, and it is enormous...

(It's in the freezer now, after a visit to the local timber yard to get it cut into planks...)

;0)

mobilekat

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 22:22 »

(It's in the freezer now, after a visit to the local timber yard to get it cut into planks...)

;0)

I have visions of people wrestling squash sheets- that are as big as sheets of MDF, and trying to slot them into the freezer! :D :D

Thanks for making me smile!!

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16 »

;0)

I have visions of people wrestling squash sheets- that are as big as sheets of MDF, and trying to slot them into the freezer! :D :D

Thanks for making me smile!!

Ha ha ha MK, thank you too!

The seeds weigh nearly a pound each too! Apparently, they revert to type second time around, so if we get - say - a hundred and fifty, we can use them as gravel on the drive, or maybe sell them to a nail parlour as spares...

xx
Fir tree branches; What do I do with them?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 19:26
by yorkiegal
xx
tomato side branches

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 06:07
by cadalot
clip
Curling tomato branches

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2020, 19:57
by Growster...
clip
Tomato branches twisting

Started by Allotment 38a on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2021, 21:40
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 37 queries.