CARROTS

• 15 Replies

cotteswold

CARROTS
« on: August 20, 2012, 04:36 »
Is it just me - or is there something about this year??

I have sown several types in several ways & all bar one sowing have been a failure.

dugless

Re: CARROTS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:04 »
No it's the same with me I have sowed three lots and I have one carrot to show for it.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45 »
Its the slugs and snails- they sit there at night wearing their napkins and nibble the tops off the second they emerge...

Well thats my theory!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:50 »
Quite a number of people, including me, have mentioned poor carrot germination this year. I think its the weather.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:24 »
I sowed two varieties of carrot and 2 of parsnips on 20th April - they did come up after 5 weeks but even the parsnips beat them to it (just!)

Have sown some more in the past few weeks which came up much quicker, so they obviously don't like cold wet soil, which is not that surprising given that optimum germination temperature (of the soil) is no less than 25C (77F) and at a soil temperature of 5C (41F) it takes a whopping 51 days (and only 48% of them will actually bother!)

Also agree with mobilecat - I think slugs are probably responsible for many "no shows" this year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cotteswold

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03 »
Thanks for listening!

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25 »
If it helps, I sowed Little Finger carrots, and had perfect germination and I'm harvesting plenty of carrots (grown in beds). They're really good too! Maybe you can try them next year.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31 »
I sowed carrots at home in a raised bed rather than at the allotment to try and beat the Carrot Fly. I sowed rows in succession to try and get a steady crop - I got very patchy germination until I realised the slugs / snails were eating the seedling . I  succumbed to using slug pellets and eventually got some carrots - just picked a few now - half were split due to the rain I guess - but the rest were OK

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39 »
I had to have several goes, patchy germination but the later sewn carrots have taken.

My only problem was not checking enough and some of them have grown rather large.
Got half a carrier bag this weekend. Chantanay and despite being larger than I like they were still very tasty.

I sewed mine in raised beds at the lotty.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:41 »
My carrots and parsnips also took weeks to germinate from my March sowings, but having covered them in fleece, then making a curtain of debris netting up to over 3ft high for the carrots, I have lots coming along very nicely.

I've even had carrots from my 4-5 year old seed.

Then I also sow Paris market and Parmex, both little round stubby carrots in a big plastic box.  Used the first lot, and now my second sowing of Paris Market are showing!

Must admit, we have a few slugs here, but not many.

cotteswold

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 13:24 »
Greetings, Grannie!

I sowed some Parmex - not realising that they are bite size. They are the only ones to succeed.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 14:32 »
Hi Cotteswold, Paris market are the same as Parmex, but the ones I've got in the ground are getting a bit too big now, talk about giant gobstoppers!! lol 

But I think they are brilliant for container growing and they reckon they are good if your soil isn't that good.

Luckily here in Lincs though we don't get many stones in our soil!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 18:24 »

Must admit, we have a few slugs here, but not many.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

What's your secret??

To bring us back on topic... I have had little success either. Like others, I've put it down to slugs and the weather.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 21:40 »
Don't know Paul.  I did see a slug trail all over the patio table yesterday, but my Filderkraut cabbages are HUGE, except one of them all the top had rotted off and the stalk is hollow. 

It had some leaves of its neighbour over the top of it as they are all under netting, don't know if that is anything to do with it, and my minicole are lovely as are several of my 5 red cabbages.

The only disappointment is my romanescu all bolted, so pulled them out today and cut off all the little florets and they are in a bag in the fridge.

I only grew a few brassicas, as they are so cheap from the local farm shop.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 21:54 »
Not really grown carrots before 2 varieties growing and eating well, must be beginners luck, a yellow one which i'm eating now and a red one which is supposed to keep well which I will follow on with. sowed in three lots the first in that dry spell at the end of march, yes I actually watered them in!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots and..............

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 07:32
by jennyb
xx
carrots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 17:57
by DIGGER
xx
Carrots

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 18, 2007, 22:38
by tali

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 30 queries.