Any Advice for Cockerel With Weak Leg

• 9 Replies

GREEN FINGERED NOT

Any Advice for Cockerel With Weak Leg
« on: August 05, 2012, 15:24 »
Hi - several weeks ago someones dog got hold of him, thought it had done no harm as no blood just some feathers missing, maybe coincidence but a few weeks later he started going off his legs and landing on his bum when doodle dooing.  Have had him to the vets and he is on anti-inflamatory medicine, but whilst I think there is some relief he is still not great after 5 days, he is walking around with the girls, but, on a night he is not on the perch he is in the garage on the floor (much to his disgust), the reason for that is he cannot cope with the perch as his leg is not gripping enough, so when he wakes up in the night and stretches, he looses his balance and over he goes and cannot get back up - all somewhat distressing - not sure if there is anything anyone can suggest to help him? :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Any Advice for Cockerel With Weak Leg
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 17:15 »
The only thing I can suggest is a warm foot bath to loosen up the muscles.  Hope he recovers.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 19:55 »
Give him time, it might be a few weeks but hopefully he will recover. I had a problem a few years ago with my cockerel's leg, he was dragging it behind him and it looked paralysed but it gradually got better, you'd never know to see him now.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 20:07 »
Can you place him in a portable pet carrier and put this in the coop so he's with his girls but can't fall and hurt himself?

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:14 »
Thanks for the advice, I will try the warm water soak now, I have done it once but doh! why I did not think of doing it maybe every day.  He seems fine not being with the girls on a night as after a couple of nights of leaving him and his favourite together he went for her in a big way so let her go to the chicken shed and left him in there. 

The thing that bothers me about a pet carrier is he falls over and think he might damage himself so have come up with plan B......  I have made a cushion pen for him and leave him on carpet so that he can get some grip with his feet and will re-jig the perch in the chicken coop to see how he gets on later in the week. 

He does seem fine in himself, as he wants to do all the things cockerels normally want to do.... but he is more tired as I presume his leg pain is wearing him out somewhat - will keep on with his anti inflamatory medication for another week - but any more advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks  :D

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 19:56 »
I have got a second lot of anti inflamatory for him and he is sleeping in the kitchen on the carpet with a few seat cushions around him so that he can stand and stretch and move but if he topples he can right himself.  He does not mind being parted from the girls as I let him out at 7am just before the girls come out, so he does the usual display for them then.... it is rather sweet to see the crusty old guy coming to sleep in the corner of the kitchen rather than going to the hutch with them now.  I am looking forward to him being able to perch again, if he can at some point, however if he never can then thats fine too, will just adjust the hutch to suit them all.  At least I do not have to give him the medicine down his throat, putting it on half cut grapes with a sprinkle of digestive to soak up the medicine and he woofs the lot. :D

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 20:36 »
Out of interest how old is he and was he vaccinated?

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 20:52 »
Hi  He is, I think, a cuckoo maran cock bird and we have had him 4 years and I estimate he and Margo were maybe 2 or so when we bought them at a local feather and fur sale.  There is no info on whether they were vaccinated and I have not had it done. :wub:  Will say I found the feather and fur sale traumatic, not enough water in cages for the whole of the sale, people pocking and prodding chickens all the time, not sure I could stomach going back.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:22 »
That's a relief as I was harbouring a suspicion about Mareks disease which can manifest after severe stress in a susceptible bird but this happens in young ones - so panic over.

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 19:06 »
Phew.......
If only he would stop chasing the girls when he feels fine, think he would get better quicker, he still falls on his butt sometimes when he doodle doo's but seems brighter today, so will keep on with meds and not let him perch (simply because his foot does not grip overly well still) ::)

xx
Aggressive cockerel advice please

Started by katep on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 11:03
by wildwitchy
xx
bantam cockerel advice please

Started by eggbertina on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:52
by eggbertina
xx
Advice? hens per cockerel for fertility

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post December 29, 2007, 20:55
by jonny1982
xx
henpecked cockerel can anyone offer advice

Started by kzaba on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 08:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 27 queries.