half hatched chick

• 7 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
half hatched chick
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:26 »
of the nine eggs under the broody - 5 hatched fine. she has left the nest and the remaining 3 eggs are cold. one egg has completely disappeared.

as the eggs were stone cold i was going to remove them but one chick is half out and distressed. it is very cold and there is blood in the shell. having never hatched eggs before i'm not sure if the amount of blood is normal?

the chick is cheeping and as i type has rolled out of the remaining shell but is still curled up - presumably very tired.

mum isn't having any of it so i'm taking it inside to but under the heat lamp. i know that hens usually leave eggs and chicks that won't make it but i'm going to try and help this one. is there anything else i need to do?

total chick novice...
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

kegs

Re: half hatched chick
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:50 »
How about a covered hot water bottle too.  It won't need food and water for a several hours.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:54 »
thanks kegs.

i'm trying to keep it warm while the plate warms up and have put the kettle on too. there is a blob of blood stuck to the vent area which i haven't touched. have carefully wiped all the other blood off and its perfectly formed, fully able to move legs but is it normal to have a slight bulge in the tummy area.

almost wish i'd taken a good look at the wet chick last night...

kegs

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 13:05 »
I'd say that's normal and it's just hatched a few hours too early.  It will be where the yolk sac has gone in to the body. (see day 19/20 of this chart)

http://www.cobb-vantress.com/contactus/brochures/EmbryoFlipChart.pdf

Keep an eye on it though.  for the first time I helped one out of its shell 5 wks ago and didn't keep an eye on its development and it's now got bent toes and I think a dodgy leg so I suspect there's a reason why some of these chicks don't make it.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 13:15 »
thanks for the link - that makes things a little clearer. i'm actually hoping that if it makes it - to try to slip it back in under mum and hope for the best. will leave the remaining two eggs in the nest for the next 2 days and then remove them before cleaning out the sleep area.

she was really clean right up until sunday and since then she's pooped right next to the edge of the nest and given one of them a slight green poop tinge.

will keep fingers crossed and you posted. thanks for the quick response.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 15:57 »
thank you to kegs for your the advice. i have put the chick back in under mum and its doing very well indeed. i kept it warm and sat with it until well after all the yolk was absorbed. after that it opened its eyes and started flapping about so it went back nearly an hour and half ago and is now nearly fluffed up and the loudest one in there!

once mum trusts me enough i'll try to get a picture...there is one pure brahma and the others are all jersey crosses, all with feathered feet just like their papa!

kegs

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 16:32 »
That was quick.  Well done though and good luck with the chicks.  Snap by the way - I've got 6 Brahmas in pajamas due to hatch Friday and I can't wait.  So sad, I really need to get out more!  ;)

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 16:56 »
got to love the pj's

to be honest i was fine up until i saw the first chick - then it was really hard to leave them alone but i did.....yay me!

i wouldn't have intervened with the last chick if it hadn't piped. mum originally sat on only 3 eggs but the other girls laid in her nest every time she left. it then stayed at 9 eggs for a few days up until day 9 when all the girls went and laid their eggs in her nest!

luckily i had managed to pick up a decent broody hutch and moved her the same day, candelled the eggs and found the original 9. i think having to wait the extra 2 days has made her lose patience and she left the nest last night and moved to the other side of the hutch.

now the remaining two are cheeping regularly but she hasn't gone back. i'll bring them in after picking up hubby and put them in the incubator. will wait and see what happens. have put another question on the topic board and am waiting for some more advice

xx
chick hatched but half missing..?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 07:50
by joyfull
xx
first chick has hatched

Started by francais on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 20:53
by francais
xx
Help new hatched chick

Started by vanessa.xx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 16:06
by vanessa.xx
xx
chick hatched, little bit of blood

Started by Silkychicks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 08:52
by Silkychicks

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 37 queries.