Lazy Hen?

• 4 Replies

PaulineM

Lazy Hen?
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:31 »
Hi

I have a Welsummer hen that I raised from a chick last year. My hens live in a stable, the highest roost bar being about 3 feet off the ground and the lowest about 1 1/2 foot off the ground. Their nestboxes are converted overturned large plant pots.
Lately when I go to let them out in the morning about 7.50am she has laid her egg from the roost bar and it is lying broken underneath her  :(  The hens are usually all still roosting at this time.
She uses the nestboxes fine during the day so why is she not leaving the roost bar to lay her early morning egg?
We have recently acquired a young rooster who is paying her a little bit of attention, could this be the reason?
Any ideas folks? I'm at a lost as to what to do  :wacko:
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Lazy Hen?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53 »
She might feel safe on the roost bar away from the roosters attentions.  Could you put the rooster in a coop or hutch overnight and see if this resolves the problem.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21 »

Good idea ANHBUC if we can catch him  ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:37 »

Good idea ANHBUC if we can catch him  ::)

Don't forget to have someone video it!   :lol: 

Try it when he is already roosting after dark.  We catch our 2 bantam roosters when they go to bed.   ;)

PaulineM

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:47 »
I'm not convinced it is the rooster thats the problem tho  ??? as before he came I have occassionally found her eggs laying randomly around the stable. I thought it was because the other hens were in the nestboxes and she couldn't get in so would drop an egg where she was even tho there would be empty nestboxes  ::) we all know what they are like all wanting to lay in the one nestbox  :nowink:

xx
Lazy chooks

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 16:20
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Lazy layer problem

Started by Brian Green fingers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 16:25
by joyfull
xx
" Lazy " hen

Started by Jonathan in Sligo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 20:05
by New shoot

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 28 queries.