Is it really worth it!!!

• 3 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Is it really worth it!!!
« on: July 26, 2012, 15:49 »
I grow a few veg in my garden and this year decided as well as growing spuds in the ground I would grow some in bags so I can compare. I grew Charlotte and International Kidney. I've just emptied my bag of I K and what a pathetic crop. Not even 1lb in weight. I did have rather a lit of minute ones so I am guessing I have emptied the bag too early. Could that be th e reason?
I have decided to leave the bag of Charlotte for a while longer but all the leaf is dead. Will they still carry on growing if I cut it all back?
Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it really worth it!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 15:57 »
Whether growing spuds in bags or pots is "worth it" is probably a lot to do with whether you enjoyed the experience (if not you are probably thinking about the cost of the compost!)

Spuds won't grow any bigger without their leaves, although the tubers can be left in the soil for a few weeks.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 17:01 »
I dont like growing corn, I don't think its worth the room, the time it takes and the yield, so I dont grow it, shop bought from the grocers is always cheap and to me tastes the same, but then again I like the stuff in the tin as well 
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 17:35 »
Spuds in bags / containers are particularly prone to low harvest because of the amount of water which is required to help them bulk up, and the amount of feed needed.  The plants' leaves often create a rain shadow so actual rain doesn't get into the container.

If the foliage has completely died down then the tubers won't grow any bigger.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

question
Is it really worth it?

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 20:01
by Tigerhair
xx
When it all seems worth it...

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 10:09
by aelf
xx
Is it worth a go?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 14:51
by Trillium
xx
Is it worth it?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 13:42
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 28 queries.