Is it really worth it?

• 36 Replies

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: Is it really worth it?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 18:55 »
In terms of cost and effort ( in the long run) I think it is definately worth growing fruit and in particular soft fruit such as raspberries, strawberries and currants. I also love to see my rhubarb pushing vibrant pink through the dull coloured soil at this time of year. I love watching the rhubarb grow right through the season. Luckily my OH and I like rhubarb. I am also growing cherries this year.

Salads and herbs are also great to be able to pick and use straight from the garden. I am really rubbish with most herbs unfortunately but I strive to grow them each year.

We eat a lot of onions and I love to see them ripening in the sun, so even though they are cheap in the supermarkets I enjoy growing them, and leeks look great in the border and are really quite dear to buy( and have most of the green bit chopped off).

I don't grow main crop spuds, have given up on broccolli and can't grow a carrot bigger than my little finger so they are out too. ::)

Christine

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 08:05 »
I threatened to grow all flowers this year because I like growing flowers better than vegetables. You should have heard the relations yell. They want carrots, onions, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, swede, courgettes, squash, herbs, salad, will try different sorts of beans ......

Grandson did say that strawberries, raspberries and peas all had flowers on  :D

It's my garden as I don't have one at home and I grow anything for the fun of it.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 09:29 »
crumbs yes, absolutely 100% worth it.

For me flavour is number 1. A strawberry, carrot, cucumber and so many other things that are totally tastless to buy in shops are infinitely superior when home grown

Then the fun aspect of growing your own, with the challenges - great

And the variety of any type of thing to be grown.

And the cost (HOW much for a punnet of raspberries or strawberries in teh shops). and asparagus....crikey

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 14:53 »
I was really asking about the stuff that is cheap to buy, but the response is a definite FLAVOUR IS BETTER, so I am going to try carrots, etc... and see if you lot are right  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 14:54 »
We know we are.

We've got the T shirt!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GAZBEE

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 19:16 »
it's a great feeling growing your own vegtables no matter how cheap they are in the shops,and don't forget you are saving money no matter how cheap they are.I find when going to the supermarket there is a sense of inward joy knowing what you have accomplished while watching joe public fill their trollies with tasteless veg

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 20:01 »
Yeah, yeah... I hear all the talk.... but, well, as of next Sunday... only a week and a day away, I will be getting my teeshirt as grubby as the rest of you (Hooray!!!).

xx
Is it worth it?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 13:42
by mumofstig
xx
Is it really worth it!!!

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 17:35
by Yorkie
xx
When it all seems worth it...

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 10:09
by aelf
xx
Is it worth a go?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 14:51
by Trillium

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 35 queries.