Cabbage root fly

• 3 Replies

LottieSue

Cabbage root fly
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:09 »
Having attempted to grow on some sprouts and cauli in large pots before planting out (to reduce effects of clubroot in the soil) I have found a couple of the sprout plants starting to wilt (NOT due to lack of water!). For some reason it didnt occur to me they might get attacked by the root fly in pots.
Is it worth putting collars on the rest - or should the worst be over by now? I've never bothered with spring cabbages, and they do OK. I don't think any of these are likely to produce much, as the plants are still rather small.

My big/only brassica success this year has been the Marathon calabrese that got planted out rather late last year. To my surprise they survived the winter, and then took it in turns to get going. I've just picked a good size central head off the last one. Meanwhile the few surviving calabrese I planted late spring this year all bolted!

Every year I think why bother with brassicas - but I do like a challenge!

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: Cabbage root fly
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 22:21 »
Having attempted to grow on some sprouts and cauli in large pots before planting out (to reduce effects of clubroot in the soil) I have found a couple of the sprout plants starting to wilt (NOT due to lack of water!). For some reason it didnt occur to me they might get attacked by the root fly in pots.
Is it worth putting collars on the rest - or should the worst be over by now?

I suppose a bigger pot surface makes them at risk similar to those in the ground.  If the others are free of root fly bugs, I'd use collars for those not affected as, from what I understand, the root fly comes in 3 phases - and I guess we're around the second phase, so younger plants might still be susceptible during August (though recent weather might have the timings of all these phases up in the air :nowink:)

There was a thread recently on root fly and collars but I can't find it right now

This link briefly describes the life cycle:
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/cabbage-root-fly-151755.pdf

LottieSue

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 18:22 »
Thanks for the link - I didn't realise there could be three generations of the wretched things!  I've used collars made of cardboard in the past with some success - but I don't think they would last very long in this wet weather...
Maybe next year I will try enviromesh over the transplants until they get too big (hopefully!)

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 19:32 »
I make mine out of old roofing felt and they last for years.

xx
Cabbage Root Fly

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 17:12
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
cabbage root fly

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 15:09
by Yorkie
xx
cabbage root fly

Started by early4704 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 18:09
by DD.
xx
cabbage root fly

Started by bedrockdave on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 19:50
by gobs

Page created in 0.785 seconds with 31 queries.