Buzzard trouble?

• 9 Replies

marygall

Buzzard trouble?
« on: July 22, 2012, 19:32 »
I have seventeen free range hens of mixed breed - the only losses that I've suffered so far have been the result of the farmer next door's dog and a starving cat during the last terrible winter.
My second oldest hen is supposed to be a sussex light, but she's very small. She was in the hen house yesterday morning and nowhere to be seen last night at bedtime. I hunted everywhere but no sign - no feathers, blood - nothing.
She has never shown any interest in being broody and is now four years old, so I think it's unlikely that she's setting up home in a hedgerow somewhere.
All day the rest of the gang have been hiding under bushes and looking anxiously skywards. There are buzzards around all the time but I think that the local pair have raised a good brood this year - they are hanging around very near to the garden and yard.
I've looked at old posts and the consensus seems to be that buzzards wouldn't take a hen from a hen run - but mine are free range and while there is plenty of cover, there is also a fair bit of open grass.
Could it be a buzzard? There are peregrines nearby too but I've only seen them take birds in the air.   

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Buzzard trouble?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 19:35 »
yes I believe they could take a hen especially if they have young to feed  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 20:17 »
Ohh, I'm sorry to hear that. Not sure on the buzzard, but I hope your hen comes back safely.
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

marygall

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:25 »
I should learn to leave it a couple of days before posting - I went out to unlock the henhouse this morning to find Crystal, the missing hen, anxiously waiting for breakfast. I'm very glad she's back, whatever her adventures - the image of her being carried off by the buzzard was not a happy one.
Thanks for your replies
Mary

Beano

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:52 »
Phew!! I'm glad she came back.
El.

Spana

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:13 »
All my hens free range, got 3 mothers free ranging with tiny chicks at the moment. Also got buzzards nesting for the 3rd year justs yards from the hens and can honestly say i've never had any trouble with them taking the hens or chicks.

Put out a culled cockerel carcass and they are on it within minutes.

Our trouble is with their bl***dy baby, the pesky thing calls night and day >:( I can hear it going for it as i type this >:(

marygall

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:36 »
yes I know what you mean, I was out in the garden all day yesterday - gardening to the music of baby buzzards - very irritating...

agapanthus

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 17:42 »
We had a 3/4 grown Ixworth cockerel taken by a buzzard when we were in Fife :(....strange that it went for a large bird rather than the smaller ones we had free-ranging  :unsure:

marygall

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 21:02 »
maybe because the cockerel was standing guard and more obvious than the little hens? - it was doing it's job - poor thing.

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54 »
You could be right Mary.....really frustrating to see it happen and know there's nothing you can do about it :(

xx
Buzzard

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 15:50
by Foxy
xx
Buzzard attack??

Started by Simply Dottie. on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 23:51
by barley
xx
Trouble with a cat!

Started by Taygator on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 13:00
by animartco
exclamation
Trouble in the pen

Started by chucksaway on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 21:33
by drumcrow

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 29 queries.