Males rule!!!

• 14 Replies

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
Males rule!!!
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:32 »
PLEASE HELP! Most of my squashes are producing so many male flowers and no females :ohmy:  Butternut squashes, Patty Pans and normal courgettes are affected.  Is there anything that I can do to encourage the "girls" to put in an appearance? :(
Now what shall I do today?

m1ckz

Re: Males rule!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:38 »
maybe go around naked ,,can think of anything else :ohmy: :lol:

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41 »
naked? in this heat? Ok then, I'll give it a go 8)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:52 »
Overly hot, as well as cold, weather can cause problems in formation of female flowers. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:10 »
In my experience you are unlikely to get two females to agree whether it actually is hot or cold!  :wub:

On the slightly safer subject of squashes  ::) what you have observed is not unusual - I've even had all male flowers followed by all female, which is much less of a problem if you have more than one plant of that type!

I don't know of any way of influencing the flower production one way or the other - all you can do is try to make sure the plants are not stressed and hope for the best (they usually sort themselves out in the end.)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13 »
JayG you only just redeemed yourself there :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18 »
JayG you only just redeemed yourself there :lol:

That's me - living life on the edge.................of the norty step!!  :ohmy:  :lol:

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19 »
In my experience you are unlikely to get two females to agree whether it actually is hot or cold!  :wub:

On the slightly safer subject of squashes  ::) what you have observed is not unusual - I've even had all male flowers followed by all female, which is much less of a problem if you have more than one plant of that type!

I don't know of any way of influencing the flower production one way or the other - all you can do is try to make sure the plants are not stressed and hope for the best (they usually sort themselves out in the end.)  ;)

My husband can't keep up with me when I say "ooooooo it's sooooooo hot" - must be hormones :wacko:

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38 »
grow two courgettes (or squashes etc) near each other so they can be cross pollinated by bees. If one plant produces all males, chances are the other will be more balanced.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 11:41 »
grow two courgettes (or squashes etc) near each other so they can be cross pollinated by bees. If one plant produces all males, chances are the other will be more balanced.

done that.  4 patty pans together, 3 butternuts together, and the courgettes together.  I might try and castrate most of the males (sorry boys :blink:) and see if that encourages them to sprout new buds which will be female.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 17:29 »
It is typical early in the season for male flowers to be produced first.

Given that we are so late behind this year, it's not surprising.  It should sort itself out.

Each plant is separate, so the chances of one being 'more balanced' if the other is 'less balanced' is not supported by any evidence.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 18:17 »
True, but  in my experience you don't usually get all of 'em misbehaving at once  :D

We've had it cold, but don't think the weather has been bad in Spain, so I would have thought they'd have sorted themselves out by now - obviously not! Obviously Spanish ones are just as naughty  :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 18:21 »
From at least one of our forum members in Spain I have been hearing how hot it is this year, which is why I pointed this out as a possible or even probable cause of the problem.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 08:20 »
From at least one of our forum members in Spain I have been hearing how hot it is this year, which is why I pointed this out as a possible or even probable cause of the problem.
you have heard correctly how hot and dry it is here at the moment, and will get worse as August approaches >:(  I drip irrigate my kitchen garden twice a day - first thing in the morning for about 30 mins (to see them trhough the day) and then again late at night for about 45 mins (to soak in over night)  We have not had any decent rain since last November  :( (in this area anyway)

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 17:54 »
No Rain since November !   Well we have had hardly any rain since Wednesday although to be fair we did get 2" of rain on Wednesday
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
Rule of thumb on pea pods

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 13:26
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 30 queries.