Has any one got a Silver Laced Dorking?

• 9 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
Has any one got a Silver Laced Dorking?
« on: July 15, 2012, 20:13 »
Hi,

I got a Silver Laced Dorking chick by accident last year and she is just about to have her first birthday. The breeder thought he had 2 Welsummer chicks and I ended up with her and a Welsummer.

She is quite an interesting character. Very chatty. Very friendly, I think although I sometimes wonder what her intentions are when my back is turned and she seems to accidently peck me quite often. She has very nice feathers but a silly big red comb that flops over one eye. She is the top hen in my flock and I think she seems like an old lady who has nothing better to do because she is never busy working ie laying eggs!

She is an absolutley rubbish layer, I think she has managed about 10 eggs so far. She also has a dirty bottom and I came on the site to see if this is normal for this breed.

What are other Silver Laced Dorkings like?

I can't wait to find out!

Bev

Spana

Re: Has any one got a Silver Laced Dorking?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 22:06 »
 Dont know the silver laced dorking but i've kept silver grey Dorkings  for years, use to have a lot but not so many now, only 6 plus a few X 's  with light sussex.

Yes they do have big combs and yes they are not the best layers but none of these old traditional breeds are.  I think they are beautiful big hens with lovely soft feathers and their floppy combs make them stand out from the rest :)

Cant say about the mucky bottom, does she need worming.  I notice one of mine has a bald bottom and its bright pink :lol:

I know it probably wont be of interest to you but X with a Cornish Game they make a good old fashioned table bird but they need to be at least 26weeks.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:09 »
Hi Spana,

Maybe she is a Silver Grey Dorking, I am not sure. I knew she wouldn't be a big layer and was hoping for a hen with a healthy and long life rather than maximum egg production but is 10 eggs since february normal for a not so good layer?

I agree with you about the soft feathers, she is lovely to cuddle. I don't think I will breed from her. I have just got myself 2 more Welsummer chicks, 6 weeks old so the breeder is 99% sure they are girls.

I am really pleased with my little flock, they are all lovely looking hens! Strawberry the Welsummer is a great layer too so we should have plenty of eggs next year.

Bev

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 13:27 »
Unless she is broody I would have thought you should get more eggs than that.  I would second what spana said about worming and you need to use something like frontline rather than the herbal alternative. 

I am sure she would love a nice luke warm bath to clean her up, dry with a haridryer on a low setting.  You can get fly strike if she has a permanent mucky bottom.  You may find that after bathing she manages to poo without soiling her feathers.   ;)

If you can take some pictures of her and post them other members may be able to identify the breed.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 14:20 »
One of my silver grey's. Some have a much bigger comb than this one.  How does her colouring compare to your girl Bev?

Most of mine are OAP's so i dont get many eggs from them  these days but i'm sure they did better than 10 eggs in 6 months altho they are, sort of, seasonal layers. 
Saying that, when pullets hatch they have within them the number of eggs  they will lay in their life time. Some, like hybrid layers lay them all in the first 12-18 months which is why the commercial boys cull at that age, their 1 egg a day days are over.  :(  If they spread their eggs out,  in theory they could still be laying at 10 years old but you dont get many per year. ::)

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:11 »
Hi,

Yes Louise does look exactly like yours. Her comb is a bit bigger. I hope I have attached 2 pictures of her.

I have been worming them, the other hens are all fine and I had one of my old ones post mortemed that showed that the wormer was effective because there were no worms. Of course I can't be sure that she is taking her wormer. I will investigate further. I have been giving them verm-x once a month, is that a herbal one? I suppose if they are the same as other animals it is good to change once in a while so the worms don't become immune to them.

I decided to get some old breed hens as my old ones laid an egg a day for 2 years and then 2 out of the 3 became poorly. I found it hard to keep up with 3 eggs every day although I was always able to sell them or give them to friends but I don't mind a few less eggs. It is a bit annoying having a hen who is having a free ride though!

Thanks for your chat  :) Bev
IMG_8962.JPG
IMG_8956.JPG

Spana

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21 »
Now thats what you call a comb  :lol: Beautiful :happy:

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 12:13 »
She must be putting all her energy into comb production rather than egg production :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 15:56 »
She looks all set for Ladies Day at the Races with that topper.   :lol:  She has lovely markings and you would think that she was in full lay with the bright red comb.  Hopefully she will be a late bloomer and see you throught the winter with a good supply of eggs. 

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:22 »
Oooo! That would be good! It does look nice when there is a few white eggs in with my brown ones in the egg skelter! Maybe now the jet stream is set to move she might feel a bit more like laying! She does sometimes go and sit for a while. ::)

xx
Buff Laced Wyandotte Banties

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 21:57
by jinty1911
xx
Silver Spangled Hamburgs

Started by CluckyChicken on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 17:34
by ANHBUC
xx
Silver Peking Partridge Bantam

Started by Suzybat on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 16:50
by Suzybat

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 30 queries.