Potato Blight, is this a sensible plan

• 22 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Potato Blight, is this a sensible plan
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 20:33 »
His advice was good if it was late blight but not if it was early blight.

Have your removed the tops yet?  If not please post a picture of the blight on them.

The lesions of early blight do not cross the veins and look a little like concentric rings of brown, hence the other name of target spot.  Late blight just spreads and crosses veins and does not have concentric rings.  Picture if you can me dear :)

Some of my potatoes have early blight but hopefully they will be fine.
Tops were just a brown and black slimy mess with leaves either rotted off or blown off, a bit like they get in autumn. All the early spud varieties were affected but two rows of King Edwards upwind from the earlies seem OK. Many of the early spud tubers look OK but there are a few where I can feel them mushy. Many have a sort of warty surface to them. Frankly, we've had so much rain that it could just be some natural sort of wet decay in the muddy conditions. I doubt the small-holder guy is a trained horticulturalist so he could just be wrong with his diagnosis.

To me the main issue is how to clear it all up. I'm not planning on growing spuds on that patch again so I just want it OK for other root-crops (too shaded for brassicas and beans etc)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 20:53 »
It does just sound like a nasty case of wet weather.  Kent is sopping in water so Cumbria must be ....

I would bag all the potato haulms and any tubers you want to dispose of and put them in the council green waste.  They used a very HOT composting system so it should be quite safe.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 21:07 »
Thanks Aunt

Kirpi

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 21:17 »
This from the Potato Council: Gardeners Advice For Potato Blight

"If there is an outbreak in an allotment, it’s not just the potatoes close by that are at risk. Each blight lesion on a leaf or stem can release around 120,000 spores a day that can infect potatoes in other allotments and fields, so it is vital to keep a keen eye out for any signs of blight, and treat it accordingly. If you grow potatoes, bag, bin, and, where possible, burn any affected plants."

This makes me feel like hauling the infected halms back out of my compost bin to be on the safe side, though they are breaking down rapidly in the heat of the bin at the moment. I don't want to be a source of contamination for my and other's plots next year.

Then again, this extract comes from the Garden Organic website, "Factsheet about potato blight:

Composting tops and tubers
: "Blight infected potato haulms (foliage) can be composted – well buried in a good active heap. Alternatively bury them in trench in the soil.The likelihood of resistant spores being present is very slim. Never try to compost tubers; they are best put in your green waste bin. Potato peelings tend to break down quickly and rarely re-sprout and so are considered fine to compost, but not if they are particularly thickly cut."

My compost is cooking down quite rapidly so I should be ok, but this problem hits our allotment heavily every year. I don't want to make things worse.  :(

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 15:01 »
Right, here's where I'm at. A week ago I cut off all the tops of the plants and disposed of them in the Council green waste wheelie-bin.

After three days without rain, I decided to dig up the tubers, no mean task as I have nine rows each at 10 metres in length. After two hours hard work, what I'm finding is that about three in four of the tubers are soggy with rot and cannot be handled. The ones that aren't soggy, on closer inspection have spots on them indicative of rot-to-come.

At the risk of Jamboian calling me selfish, can anyone see a better plan that me removing all the unblighted/unrotted potatoes I can find and then rotovating the whole damned area? If any small spuds survive this treatment, then my plan is to either dig them up in spring when they've started to shoot or otherwise destroy them leaving the area fallow for the planting of leeks etc at about md-summer 2013

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 19:29 »
The only thing that slightly concerns me about rotavating is that you might end up transferring some diseased soil onto the rotavator, and end up later transferring the disease onto clean soil elsewhere.

Don't know if this is a realistic fear though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jamboian

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 19:33 »
Sorry Alan, I shouldn't have been so rude. good luck for the future :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 21:16 »
Yorkie, I always pressure-wash the rotavator on the back lawn after use so I'm not worried about transferring spores onto clean soil.

Jamboian, no offence taken. As they say up here, you couldn't mark me with a pick-axe

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Potato blight

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 00:23
by richyrich7
xx
Is this potato blight ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 06:41
by hubballi
xx
Potato blight

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2019, 08:23
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 28 queries.