Fruit Tree Suggestions Please

• 17 Replies

OpenSourceAgriculture

Re: Fruit Tree Suggestions Please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 13:27 »
No, I don't grow grass up to the trees, and of course I dug organic matter in, but not farmyard manure, which is too nitrogen rich for these wet conditions.   I assure you that the clay here and the wet West British coastal weather has more effect on killing fruit trees than anything else.   I used to have a clay soil allotment in the South East, and it was a picnic compared to this.   Clay soil that has NEVER been cultivated is the next best thing to cement dust.   Adding compost isn't enough, it has to be LIVING compost, not the sterile stuff.   

The trouble with fruit trees in Britain is all the development on varieties and rootstocks happens in KENT, which as everybody knows, is the balmiest, driest, most calcium rich part of the country.    Apple varieties that once were suited to the wet West British climate, and its more acid soils, have long been lost because the entire country focussed on darling little Kent.

Old fruit varieties like Old Greengage are difficult because the diseases have evolved  a lot since they were selected.  Unless you lve in disease free conditions, for example surrounded by several square miles of industrially farmed arable fields, with free draining soil and a south facing slope.   I bought into the whole heritage and lost varieties thing decades ago, and I know why they were heritage varieties.  It wasn't always because they weren't suited to tractor farming.   For example, old potato varieties have more problems with blight and other diseases than the newer ones.

When I read gardening advice in the papers, it is always from some dolly who lives in the sunny easy South East, who thinks their advice applies to the whole country.  It doesn't.   The South East has a different climate from the rest of the country, and even with climate change, it will keep a huge difference.

I really think it is important to be honest with people that being organic AND Nature friendly ALL THE TIME is a major challenge.  For example, most of the ORGANIC stuff that is being produced for the market these days is grown in Polytunnels, which are not natural, and not as nature friendly as growing stuff in the ground. 

There is nothing wrong with telling people the reality of things.   They aren't so weak-minded that they can't make a choice for themselves, I think.
Life is Open Source, not licensed by a corporation.

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 15:41 »
OK, Dopey - firstly, decide how much money you want to spend. People have had good and bad bargains from supermarkets. If you can, I would go for a reputable supplier who you can ask for advice regarding what you want, soil, aspect and, most importantly, hardiness. You still might be able to find a bargain plant of the same variety but, at least, you have their advice as to what will give you the best results. Secondly, decide on your choice of fruit. Apples, pears (some more hardy than others), I think greengage are hardier than plums but not sure, same for cherries. Now for choice of fruit tree type. First, decide on how big you want their height to be eventually; this will determine your "rootstock" which the supplier has used, so look at the info on any fruit tree website as they vary depending on how big you want them to grow.  You say you have light soil so, when you get to planting, dig a hole twice the the rootball and enrich with compost and manure, forking it into the bottom and into the soil infill. Where you live is better than here "oop north" as far as climate is concerned, and you presumably don't live on the coast with no shelter from winds like I do! As to planting in grass - lovely and I like it - but keep a good clearance ring around the trunk. Sounds like an orchard is coming on!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dopey113

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 21:01 »
Thanks to everyone for the advice
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

xx
Fruit suggestions

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 01, 2006, 15:31
by noshed
xx
Apple tree: suggestions please

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2016, 13:17
by Yorkie
xx
Any suggestions to the mould on this apple tree?

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 20:13
by barney rubble
xx
Peach & Apricot tree suggestions

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2021, 13:21
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 36 queries.