Boltardy beetroot bolting

• 12 Replies

hubballi

Boltardy beetroot bolting
« on: July 08, 2012, 13:55 »
I have grown a terrible crop of beetroot but was kind of hoping boltardy wouldn't bolt. It has  :(

Anyone else find this ?

Yana

Re: Boltardy beetroot bolting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 16:12 »
My first two sowings of Boltardy didnt even germinate!!
I've got a few golf ball size ones now and no sign of bolting.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 17:58 »
I too am on my second sowing of bolt-hardy, they are just past the 4 leaf stage, even if the weather is perfect from now on, I doubt I will get a crop on them this year.

There are so many complaint of similar problems I am beginning to think that this year is going to go down in history as the "year nothing grew."

hubballi

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 19:46 »
Why call them boltardy if they don't do what they are supposed (or not) to do.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 20:05 »
Why call them boltardy if they don't do what they are supposed (or not) to do.
They're resistant, not immune.
Cheese makes everything better.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 22:07 »
Is beetroot a candidate for growing in modules? Or is this a factor which might promote bolting? I'm experimenting with some modules now, having previously always sown directly in the ground. (Necessitated by the rain, of course...!)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 22:08 »
I started mine off in modules.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 22:16 »
Oh good. Fingers crossed then.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 06:05 »
I always use modules for beetroot, sow 3 seeds in each and plant them out as a clump.  They could bolt if you let them get really root bound, but I think the weather is more of a factor this year  :)

Mine on the plot are struggling, whereas most years I have so much I am giving them away  ::) The only decent ones I've seen so far are in a veg planter at work we have got planted up inside the shop to demo them.  Got my eye on those  ;)

Robster

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:09 »
I have started some off in modules and they always get a bit upset at being planted out.  Sowing direct they seem to get washed away this year.

Anyway I am still sowing as I had some perfectly respectable beetroot in March this year after being in the ground all winter.  I will continue sowing all month (maybe some of August too) I think deliberately to have the early roots

lizziesdad

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:31 »
I always use modules for beetroot, sow 3 seeds in each and plant them out as a clump.  They could bolt if you let them get really root bound, but I think the weather is more of a factor this year  :)

Mine on the plot are struggling, whereas most years I have so much I am giving them away  ::) The only decent ones I've seen so far are in a veg planter at work we have got planted up inside the shop to demo them.  Got my eye on those  ;)
I too had so much beetroot last year that I had to give it away. This year, we returned from a week's holiday on June 27 to find that my Bolthardy beetroot ( sown in April )had bolted! I was able to rescue about 12 beets from an entire row. I've planted more and am also keeping an eye on two other rows I sowed at the beginning of May.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:54 »
I start them off in modules but plant out really early - at first true leaf stage - be very careful getting the compost block out of the module as tehre are not to many roots to bind it together - doing it this way I seem to get a really good crop - already harvesting tennis ball size bolthardy...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 10:22 »
I'm about to harvest the first crop (modules from April) and sow a third in modules again.  My second sowing was direct sown and they are really struggling. To be fair I didn't help them much by sowing too close and then hoiking them all out to re-space properly. None have bolted though and they are all Boltardy - a mix of posh seeds and poundshop ones.

My plot's on heavy clay, but the person before me added a lot of sand to the bed they are in, and they seem to like it a lot more than the others.

My roots are only golf-ball size. Am hoping to grow bigger like boldondig's, if we get a wee bit more sun!

xx
Boltardy beetroot query??

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 10:46
by violet61
xx
beetroot bolting

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2021, 17:51
by andyww2013
xx
BOLTING

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 17:03
by al78
xx
Everything bolting :-(

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 20:36
by radiohead

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 37 queries.