Newby Chicken/Duck

• 28 Replies

Dagi

Newby Chicken/Duck
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:16 »
Hello,

A newby to the forum but also to all things poultry! We are set to have our first chicken coop arrive on Monday and look forward to having some lovely pets and eggs soon! We are still debating slightly which way to go on breeds, even species! I think the most important factors for us are:

1. Want a pet, so something relatively friendly and will interact with us (yes, I know it is up to us to interact and handle the feathery friend)
2. Eggs - would be nice to have eggs for us and maybe a few to sell off/give away to friends and co-workers
3. Resilient - as newbys we're embarking in areas we aren't experienced in - have books but books only take you so far but we have no real-life experience!
4. Of adequate size - not too big as we do not have a big coop but big enough to scare off the curious cat (they'll mainly be in fenced areas but it would be good if they were bold enough to push back - in our previous location we lived next door to multiple chickens and it seems our cat did not mess with/bother them - so he must have been frightened enough!)

So we still debate chickens/ducks/both?

I've never had chickens but have had ducks though it was short-lived as they ran away. I love the personality of ducks and think they can be amusing and fun pets but in reading some say chickens can be quite rewarding as well. I think for eggs both - depending on breed - can be quite prolific in providing eggs and if you are happy to accept duck eggs (as it can be different from what you're used to with chicken eggs) you probably won't suffer from number of eggs. I get the impression from reading that it is all about breeds, breeds and breeds both for character and egg laying!

I should mention that we live close to a river - as it runs alongside our garden, though about 10 feet down the wall that keeps our garden from flooding in times of heavy rain (which seems to be fairly often these days). We have loads of slugs - so good treat for ducks?

So questions - if ducks, will they enjoy our wet weather more than chickens? and would they want to run/swim away if given access to the river?

If we decided on both - and I understand from reading that both can be challenging as their needs can be in conflict - one loves wet and the other loves dry, excessive poo and other bits. Are there breeds that get along with one another better than others (do not plan on getting any males!) and if we had a chicken at POL and got a duckling (to imprint and therefore remain loyal to this home) will the larger chicken abuse and hurt the duckling?

I know they are social creatures and if we started out with one of each and then upon finding our way with a preference of one due to how they adapt here and we with them, and add one more chicken or duck (so in total 3) are we ok with one of each species initially and then subsequently adding another?

Are we going to want to smack ourselves for getting one of each? And are there difficulties in pet sitting if we are away for a weekend in finding sitters for now two species?

Sorry for all the questions and background but want to try to get this right, have animals that we can enjoy and that will enjoy being here!

Many thanks for your advice and help!

Ginelle

yacks

Re: Newby Chicken/Duck
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:36 »
we have both ducks and chickens .. they never got on to start and the poor ducks had to run fast .... as long as they are the same size not too much of a problem .... the ducks have eaten everything in sight and we have ended up with a mud patch ... not saying that my girls have not helped the situation ... we have only had hybrids as only had the hen keeping bug for a few years ..

kegs

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:54 »
Welcome. 

I think we need to start with the coop as you say it's arriving on Monday.  I haven't got ducks so know nothing about them and so the experts will have to advise you there.  However, if you've already bought the coop perhaps you could let us know what type it is (you could post a link) and that would help us advise you as to what breed to go for.  For example I don't think ducks will roost so need a duck house that is on the ground.  Also when you buy chickens we always advise to buy at least three rather than two, that way if anything happens to one you won't end up with one lonely chicken as they need to be in a flock.

Do you know whether you want Large Fowl or Bantams?  How many years do you want to keep them for (hybrids will only live for 3-4 years but will lay a lot of eggs in that time, whereas pure breeds live longer but lay more infrequently throughout the year).

Dagi

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 13:14 »
Hello  - thanks for the replies so far! The chicken coop can b seen on this link (the one for 6 chickens) http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch104.htm   we'll add some additional run space as I think the area would be a little limited with the basic version. Could ducks not live in the coop - if they have a ramp to get up to it?

I think we may go with hybrids as I am not sure that we are looking for the 10-20 year commitment, especially if the eggs stop and you are now trying to house a growing number of chickens (some for eggs and some that have passed their peak and are only pets). Do hybrids have a good nature?

The plan is to definitely have three in the end (at least for this year - who knows about next!) as we've heard that advice before but we thought for just a brief time to get one of each, see what its like for a month or two and then decide on what our third would be (another duck or another chicken).

Hope I've captured it all!

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 13:26 »
Hi Dagi - we have both chickens (nine at present) and ducks (two). They all share a very large run but have different houses within the run as we found that the hens most definitely did not like to share with the ducks.

As was previously said ducks do not perch so you need to ensure that you have suitable accommodation for them. Ducks can be more difficult in other ways - hens will usually put themselves to bed as soon as it starts to get to dusk - not so ducks. Many, many nights OH and I spent ages trying to round up our three ducks (we now only have two as one died). They are slightly better now but still like to give us the run around. I also think that they can be more delicate than hens and are particularly prone to injuries to their legs - I always blame the shape of their bodies. Having said that I would not change our two girls for the world.

Dagi

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 13:50 »
If we went with only ducks, would the chicken coop be ok for them? As you mention they don't want to house together - so based on that it would be one or the other (and not both if we don't have two houses) so does the house then decide for us?

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 14:17 »
I really think for a newbie chickens are much easier to keep than ducks. But if you are keeping ducks you are better to get a specific duck house - ducks do not perch and they sleep on the ground. What we did was slightly different - we adjusted an old Omlet for them - they have mainly chosen to sleep outside within the Omlet cage which is attached to the Omlet pod (all of which is within out large run) and only go into the pod to lay their eggs or if it is very wet or cold.

Dagi

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 14:40 »
will chickens eat slugs/snails at all? We have a large number of them eating up things all around the garden so would be good if the bird would eat them whether they are foraging or if we occasionally throw them in there?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 15:13 »
Hi Dagi and welcome to the site.  Some hens will eat slugs and snails unfortunately mine don't.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Dagi

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 07:23 »
I've read that certain breeds do - like the maran...any other breeds? And is there a problem with them eating them (some say chickens will have health issues with snails/slugs) - if they are a breed which does?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 07:55 »
none of my hens like eating slugs or snails and I have Marans and Marans crosses. As with all animals you would need to worm them with a good wormer such as flubenvet which should eliminate the worms that they can get from eating slugs etc..
If you get 3 hens you will need at least 3 square metres of clear run space and ideally 9 square metres. By clear space I mean that you do not count the ground where the house sits and the feeding stations.
That house is not suitable for ducks - if they could negotiate the ramp (and I doubt that most ducks could) then they would struggle getting through the pop hole  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:27 »
My chickens won't eat slugs and snails either. 

Looks as if you're going to have to make a duck house to go with your new coop Dagi !  :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 12:43 »
Generally ducks do not suffer from as many lurgies as hens but they are much dirtier and make more mess. They do not mind wet weather but do have different requirements for nesting and have to be persuaded to go to bed - this does get easier. Some people have chickens and ducks that live happily together but remember if you try to persuade them to use the same house, hens permitting, the ducks are likely to get pooped on! Ducks are very good slug hunters but they can get worms from the slugs so a good worming programme is necessary. Ducks will climb a ramp but it is making things more difficult in the trainin to go to bed. :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

yacks

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 15:10 »
Ducks are a lot more smelly as well ... Lol x

Dagi

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 20:55 »
Well I think we will go with chooks for now - though I am continually tempted by ducks as they always seem to have such character! Granted my experience with chooks is a little limited so maybe they have bags of character too. We'll see how we get on with chooks and maybe someday in the future I can convince the hubby to go with a coupla ducks and we'll have to build something for them to at least sleep separately (not sure if we have the space for a whole separate run in the garden - hopefully...if it ever happens...that will give them a bit of separation when needed.

Thanks to everyone for their help....may come on again in th future as we move forward with chook care (coop didn't arrive today, not that it matters much too much rain here to even consider building it).

xx
A newby Chicken owner saying Hello

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 19:54
by cbv8
question
What came first the chicken or the duck?

Started by ynysmonron on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 13:00
by joyfull
xx
Help- duck attacking chicken!

Started by pink aubergine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 19:54
by ANHBUC
question
Duck Killing Chicken

Started by Prod on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 17:20
by joyfull

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.