Broody Chuck? Help Please!

• 8 Replies

CoopersCoop

Broody Chuck? Help Please!
« on: July 04, 2012, 15:40 »
Hey everyone,

After having a prolapse at the weekend, and a trip to the vets, the last thing I would have thought Patsy would be doing is going broody.
But she has started sitting in the nesting boxes and makes lots of noise when I move her. And when I came out to check on them yesterday afternoon, she was sat on some eggs my other ladies have laid. Is this definitely Broody behavior? If so how long would it last for, and how do I stop her going broody? Would it be optimistic for me to buy some fertilized eggs for her to fulfill her instinct?

So many questions! xx
Charlotte and her Hens

grinling

Re: Broody Chuck? Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 16:18 »
After a prolapse going broody might help for things to settle down.
If eggs, have you got somewhere seperate she can go away from the other hens, I bought my eggs from a supplier who advertises on here. What to do with cockerals?
If not wanting her to brood you can keep taking he off nest, shut pop hole if poss, several times a day or a dog cage so that air can get all around her.

CoopersCoop

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 13:53 »
Unfortunately we don't have a separate place for eggs unless I blocked off the nesting box for chicks and the 'brooder'. I was thinking about possibly bringing Patsy into the house in a separate box for her to perform her 'mothering' duties. would this be sufficient? (i would make sure it was a big one with lots of space.
Luckily, we don't have any cockerals to worry about too!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 14:38 »
If you are happy for her to hatch them in the house I'm sure that would be fine. Do make sure that you lift her outside twice a day as broody poop is quite unpleasant.  :lol:
We had to brood some chicks in the house last year, they were fine and the kids just loved having them in the the house too. The only down side was the dust they make, other than that they really weren't a problem indoors.

CoopersCoop

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 14:55 »
Will the eggs get too cold if i take her out? I'm a real novice when it comes to hatching chicks I'm afraid!

Well we have a spare room that me and the OH would be happy to use to keep them in the house while the brooding goes on!

grinling

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 16:15 »
Eggs should be fine, Poppy was taken off so she would eat, drink and poop which would be less smelly outside. She would then go back in and sit. Eggs may take longer than 21 days to hatch though. Spare room might get too warm for her.

cheekychick22

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 21:14 »
My broody hatched eggs in tje main coop with the flock chicks are doing great.thry have started to mingle with the adults under moms protective eye. mom does a fantastic job of defending them. i left my broody alone wilst she was on the nest and quite frequently u could see her sneak down for food and water people think that they dont eat they do just not when u aree around

grinling

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 21:30 »
Not all eat etc and some do starve to death which isn't what you want. I lifted Poppy off in the morning only, she is a bantam, bigger hens might need twice.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 21:37 »
You could go for a auto sexing breed like the Welsummer or Marran or a sex linked breed so that you know how many male birds you have at day old.  This give you the option of rearing or dispatching unwanted males.  The alternative is to go for a breed like the Light Sussex which can be a layer or meat bird.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Broody chuck

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 01:19
by Lindeggs
xx
Broody chuck

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 09:20
by Tony H
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
clip
Does my Chuck look ill??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 20:52
by barley

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 36 queries.