Who is laying what??

• 7 Replies

mwncigirl

Who is laying what??
« on: June 28, 2012, 23:05 »
We have a flock of about 40 hens, I think the oldest are about two years old, others are ex-bats, others are in their first year, a right old mixture. We have two houses in a really big run, but most of the time they free range. We're doing really well at selling eggs from the farm gate, but i think we need to streamline as although technically we have lots of layers, we're only getting up to between 15 and twenty eggs a day. (All are regularly wormed - the weather up here has been rubbish too....).

Does anyone have any ideas how to work out who is laying what?? Who needs to go??!! Feed is just too dear to have lots of chickens and not so many eggs! Sorry if that sounds really commercial.
Thanks

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Who is laying what??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:22 »
Sounds like the only way you will find out 100% is to watch the coops, mark the hen that has just laid with animal friendly paint and by a process of elimination over a week or so you will find out who is laying and who isn't. Will be a long boring process though I guess. We thought we could tell by the leg and comb colour but the one not laying looks the same as the rest! Good luck
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16 »
How many ex bats as they may not be laying many/ any and people tend to house them out of compassion as opposed to egg production.
Are the others hybrids or pure breeds?  Pure breeds do not lay as prolifically but have a longer laying life.
Good luck with trying to sort it all out.

mwncigirl

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 14:15 »
Hmmm paint may be the way forward. I'm quite happy to spend time with them as long as its not pouring down. Mind you I'd have to do it all week, and if any are lying one a day they're gonna be quite spotty!!
I'd thought of separating groups, but then you've got housing fencing issues. We've got a right old mixture, some hybrids, light sussex, plymouth rock and a lone bluebell.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 15:05 »
I would probably do them in batches.

It is possible to instill food colouring into the vent, and any eggs layed will be smeared with food colouring.  Once you have confirmed which hen is laying, you can leg ring them.

I would probably exclude exbats from your initial numbers though as they probably wont be contributing very much anyway ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 16:05 »
Ohhh what a good idea about separating  them. We still don't know who lays what and we have 5 that lay but yesterday got 6 eggs!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 21:38 by symonep »

kegs

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 16:58 »
Measuring their pelvic bones may be one indication or you could get someone to build you some trap nests, then you'll know that any hens not getting trapped aren't laying.

mwncigirl

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 22:23 »
Thanks guys, Casey76, you're right about the exbats, thats where to start I think. I reckon there must be people wanting to take some in.

Measuring pelvic bones, great, hadn't thought of that.

Its so difficult, in an ideal world they could all live here till a ripe old age, but the price of feed......

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
EGG LAYING

Started by David1967 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 13:55
by Vember

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 37 queries.