Enormous plants

• 6 Replies

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Enormous plants
« on: November 08, 2007, 14:46 »
As I am slowly clearing the plot I have come across these plants that are either very old raspberry canes, or something like tayberry or loganberry. They have been planted with supports with wires running between, but the weight of them has brought the whole thing down.  

The base of them where all the stems are coming from must be about 12" in diameter.  

It's the wrong time of year to be able to tell what they are, but I can't see any evidence of fruit on them anywhere!  There are plenty of self seeded raspberry canes around the plot, so should I dig out these brutes and replace with fresher plants, or do you think I chould just wait and see what happens with them?
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

WG.

Enormous plants
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 14:50 »
Piccie?  :)

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Enormous plants
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 14:51 »
Not that organised!  I will try to remember when I'm down there on Monday!  Then I've got to work out how to get it on the computer!

gobs

Enormous plants
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 15:00 »
Would help, but the young raspberry suckers you can plant up where you like, once dormant for winter.

You won't know how good a variety they are until tasting it though. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

paintedlady

Enormous plants
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03 »
Most garden centres sell bare rooted raspberry varieties very cheaply about now, and you can select which ones you'd like.  If you haven't got space, you can always plant them in largish pots until ground has been cleared and can be planted out any time without disturbing the roots, even when flowering or in fruit.  I did that a couple of years ago and ran out of space so there are still a couple in pots  :oops: but they have been fine.  Must finish the job ...
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Enormous plants
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 18:44 »
Got round to sorting out the raspberries, and that is what they are, just very old by the looks of things! They can't have been touched for at least a couple of years, and had pulled down the wires etc.  Some of the canes were trailing the width of the plot!

Trillium

Enormous plants
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 18:51 »
Sounds like they need a good pruning to refresh their growth. Perhaps ask someone who already has them and has pruned theirs.

xx
enormous red slugs.

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 21:54
by FCG
xx
I have enormous piles

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 23:23
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Companion plants for Asparagus plants

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 08:03
by Kristen

Page created in 0.814 seconds with 36 queries.