Chicken for the table..... help please!

• 16 Replies

mwncigirl

Chicken for the table..... help please!
« on: June 26, 2012, 22:09 »
We have been bringing on some Ross Cobs for the table, I have hung them for a couple of days, but some of the have a green tinge on the skin in their underside. Can anyone help? They are not 'going off', hung in a cool environment. Does anyone know whats this might be? Are they still edible? THanks Joe

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Chicken for the table..... help please!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 22:58 »
I think its a bit like a bruise.  If you gently lift the skin where the green tinge is, just cut out gently the bit that's gone green.

Like you said, if they are cool enough they won't have gone off in a couple of days.  Are they gutted yet or not?

mwncigirl

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 23:13 »
Not yet gutted. I've not had it happen before with any others.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 16:16 »
What area are you using for a cool environment, asking this as any cockerals will be going that way. Where the freezer and washing machine is cool as no direct sunlight goes in there would that do?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 16:32 »
Grinling, we use the garage which is our coolest place, but at one time we did get given a tall upright fridge and I used to hang a couple in there!

Sometimes I think the chooks struggle when picked up, that is when I think the bruising occurs, but if I'm wrong, well whatever it is doesn't affect the rest of the chicken, I'm not dead yet!!!   :)

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 21:45 »
We have the green tinge occasionally too - I did look it up a while ago with quite an extensive google search - there were lots of opinions on why but the overwhelming majority said not to worry - so we don't

It's also best not to gut them before you hang them - although it may seem a little counter intuitive having the guts in is better from a contamination viewpoint that a gaping cavity that any old germs can get into.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

grinling

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 22:14 »
I was thinking possibly hanging a couple for BIL, but others would have breast removed only. Would I have to hang those as well. Children won't eat chicken if the whole bird is on the table.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 22:20 »
The reason for hanging is to get a better flavoured bird.  When a chicken is killed, by whatever method the muscles contract and make the meat tougher.  Hanging gives the muscle time to relax, which is what you don't get with commercial chickens or most other meat come to that.

And yes the risk of contamination is higher if you gut the bird then hang it, but once you gut the bird , especially if you get any water near it, it starts to go off quicker.

Best way really is don't get any water near the bird until you are ready to cook it.  Although I know some people wet pluck as it is a bit easier, but my OH worked in a butchers when he was a lad, and they were taught about not getting the birds wet.

mwncigirl

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 22:26 »
I dry pluck as soon as the bird has been killed, its much easier when they're still warm. I think they're are also less 'bloodier' when hung as the blood drains so as well as nod having the blooming veins, are much cleaner to pluck. And as has been said, hanging means better flavour. We hang them in a pillow case in the larder, the coolest room in the house.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 22:28 »
Thanks for this, going to try and get BIL to help. hubby useless when the chicks crow, currently 7 - 8 weeks old.

mwncigirl

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 23:14 »
Thanks for the reassurance about the green tinge, I dressed another two yesterday cutting the skin off and have now confidently put him in the freezer. Yum!! :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 23:30 »
Grinling, whereabouts in Lincs are you?  If you are near enough to west of boston, and need any help, let us know!  We are Bicker way.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 23:34 »
Thanks for the reassurance about the green tinge, I dressed another two yesterday cutting the skin off and have now confidently put him in the freezer. Yum!! :D

Just remember when you cook them, if roasting, they are proper meat, not the pale insipid mousse you get in the supermarket, so cook them for a little longer than normal on a lower heat.

I always cook them for most of the time breast down, no need to baste then and all the juices stay in the breast.  Then for last 10-15 minutes turn breast upwards to brown off the skin.

I like my roast chicken to taste of chicken, not all this butter and goodness knows what people put on it!  ;)

But I've just remembered what you said about the children, so perhaps you don't roast them!

grinling

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 13:05 »
I'm Anwick near Sleaford. Children are happy to eat chicken provided it doesn't look like one on the table. Have told them if the chicks crow they will be for the pot. Be interesting if they prefer supermarket chicken or home grown.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 13:10 »
Home grown defo!!!   lol

But remember, if you need any help culling or whatever, we are only down the A17!

xx
dressing chicken for the table

Started by tesni on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 09:54
by joyfull
question
Table Chicken Stats!

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 16:41
by uktitan
xx
ducks for the table

Started by johnnyt93 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:59
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Table Birds

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 10:28
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 27 queries.