Another Broody

• 5 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Another Broody
« on: June 22, 2012, 21:42 »
well i already had one broody a couple of weeks ago but with some persistent moving her off the nest i broke her broodiness. I now have another broody (miss ella) and she is being much more stubborn   ::) even to the point i have tried blocking the boxes with several different objects and she still awkwardly squeezes herself in there and flattens herself like a feathery pancake :lol: she lets the others lay in the morning and then she is straight in there. At the moment she is still looking very healthy and is coming out to eat and drink so i wanna stop her now if i can. i think im going to have to use a cage. What sort of size cage do i need to get and how exactly do i do this technique? If there are any other techniques i can use throw them my way. Thanks  :)

jennie hennie

Re: Another Broody
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:17 »
I have a persistant broody bantam, she goes in a wire cat basket with food & water & then I raise it off the ground with bricks so the air flows round! I usually put a sheet of newspaper underneath to make clearing up easier! On the 2nd/3rd day, as mine free range, I shut off the coop once the others have laid & let her out. She fusses around the coop for a while ,then gives up, if not she goes back in the ' naughty basket'. Should only take 2/3 days to put her off.

Good Luck ::)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:20 »
if the others have laid could you shut the pop hole.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39 »
My OH made this for our broody coucou Marans. Poor Margot spent hours in this thing before she finally stopped being broody. We called it the 'sin bin'. We only put her in it until the other 3 had laid and then we closed the pop hole on the coop and let her out. She would fuss round the coop going up and down the ramp and giving us 'evils', but eventually she would go out with the other girls. We had to do this for over 3 weeks though before she finally stopped brooding and came back into lay!!
Here's a photo of what we made.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=93602.15
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 00:20 »
Thanks everyone. She has been out all day today after she spent all day yesterday squawking as we had shut the pop hole. Jomtie your 'sin bin' looks great. Your oh could set up a sin bin buisness lol the way my chooks are at the moment ile take 4. Its just one broody after another.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 18:23 »
I have a Pekin banty who has just stopped being broody, been going on since end of April.
I tried putting her into a wire dog crate, on bricks with just the mesh for her to sit on. I put this inside the secure pen and left her in there all day and all night.At about 1.30am the PIR light near our bedroom came on and I got out of bed, looked out of the window and there was a fox peering at her through the mesh of the pen  :ohmy: the hen house and pen are near our bedroom (bungalow)
I yelled at it and it shot off over the 6' fence.
Well that was the end of her staying out all night even though she was quite secure, it certainly unnerved us. Ive never seen foxes in the garden until we began keeping chickens!!
She has eventually stopped being broody but is now moulting like mad. Still not laying and hasn't done since April but am hopeful that when she finishes moulting she will start to lay again.

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 29 queries.