Inspiration for chicken thighs please.

• 17 Replies

Lardman

Inspiration for chicken thighs please.
« on: June 21, 2012, 22:44 »
Normally I'd roast them with a little paxo or Cajun seasoning.  Usual suspects in the cupboard and fridge (no mushies though). 

Google just seems to want me to make casserole from them.  :(

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
Re: Inspiration for chicken thighs please.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 23:35 »
Chicken teryaki?

Either bought teryaki, or mix soy sauce with mirin/sherry/similar (50:50-ish).  Remove the thigh bones and marinade as long as you like, fry or grill the thighs.  Reduce the leftover marinade down to a thick gloop.  Serve with rice and a light salad, spoon the gloop over the cooked thighs.

I normally do this with salmon fillets/slices, but works with most things that cook quickly.

I've not tried this (yet), but a deboned thigh has a nice cavity for stuffing.  Maybe a variation along the theme of chicken kiev?  Or maybe stuff with a little bacon (or cheese, or paxo), double egg'n'breadcrumbs and pop in the oven until done.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:25 »
I'd use them for pretty much anything that calls for chicken breast meat as the leg meat has much more flavour. I skin and bone them out to use the meat for curries and stir fries, but you can buy the meat only if you're not confident or competent at this process. You already have the usual roasted and casseroled suspects. And of course they are good on the BBQ as they stay succulent.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39 »
chicken and mushroom pie!   I use them in curries too, or if I cook a chicken, Brian and I have the breasts for one meal and the legs for another one.  The other day we just had legs cold with salad.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39 »
I had the other 1/2 of the packet as curry - but I think a hot curry really needs a red meat (I turned that 2Kg of beef into pre-cooked/spiced beef its in the freezer  :tongue2: )

chicken and mushroom pie!  

No mushies Grannie - I don't like to keep them in the fridge too long, I had some slimy mushies once - it wasn't good. One of the problems with shopping fortnightly.

Maybe a variation along the theme of chicken kiev?

I think we have a winner - and I can go nuts with the garlic as it Saturday tomorrow  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46 »
How about chicken in an egg and lemon sauce?  ( The egg yolks just thicken the sauce)  Just need to have a couple of eggs, lemon juice and stock with some herbs to taste. I have a really nice Italian recipe if it's something you might like. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 11:05 »
I use this recipe on a regular basis - from the Levi Roots cook book. The recipe attached used chicken breasts but the original uses chicken thighs and drumsticks and that is what I use. It is a really tasty dish - one of my OH's favourites.

http://searchingforspice.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/puerto-rican-chicken-and-rice/

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:33 »
Like Springlands, I love chicken and rice dishes like this.  I often make a paella-type thing with chicken thigh meat, chorizo (or smoked bacon) and prawns.  I often add mushrooms and/or red pepper, and always start off with some finely chopped Spanish onion (or spring onions make a nice change) and some garlic.  I then use chicken stock, a little tomato puree, chopped fresh herbs and salt & pepper.

Another idea from Rachel Khoo is Sticky Lemon & Lavender Chicken - you can see her demonstrating the dish at HrARUXnyYRk If you don't like the idea of lavender, you can substitute rosemary or tarragon.

You can also remove the skin and wrap the thighs in bacon or prosciutto, putting a couple of sage leaves in the middle of each.  Then either saute in a frying pan and finish off with some white wine thickened with a little cornflour, or else wrap in foil and oven bake.

Talking of oven-baked, another favourite round here is chicken thighs smothered in home-made bbq marinade and either barbecued or oven-baked until well coloured.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!   :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:34 »
Okay, chicken ham and leek pie!    :lol: :lol:

That chicken and rice recipe looks nice!  

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 14:41 »
Normally I'd roast them with a little paxo or Cajun seasoning.  Usual suspects in the cupboard and fridge (no mushies though). 

Google just seems to want me to make casserole from them.  :(

try taking out the leg bone and stuffing the cavity with your paxo to which you have added some grated orange rind.  Then roast - delicious :happy:
Now what shall I do today?

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 14:43 »
Okay, chicken ham and leek pie!    :lol: :lol:

That chicken and rice recipe looks nice!  

GrannieAnnie - it is lovely - one of my OH's favourites. Would really recommend it.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 16:29 »
Thanks Springy, I'll try it next time I do chicken!

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 20:51 »
Chicken in honey & ginger, or bone it out stuff with cream cheese with garlic or herbs wrap in parma ham or bacon,fry off & bake in the oven in the meantime make a sauce with softened onions,add passata, stir in some more of the cream cheese & pour over the chicken & finish off baking til cooked.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 20:53 »
Dribble....sorry!  :tongue2: ::) :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 21:03 »
Dribble....sorry!  :tongue2: ::) :lol:

Good aint it  :D

I've got another 5 thighs in the freezer, 3 are already marked for springlands puertorican dish, although Im not so sure about lavender chicken  :wacko:

xx
Chicken Breast inspiration please

Started by Parsnip on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 17:52
by Yabba
xx
need some inspiration

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 13:44
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
red cabbage - need new inspiration

Started by jennyb on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 22:11
by noshed
xx
chicken and veg stew ?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 15:14
by Y.E.A.H

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 37 queries.