Broody AGAIN already?

• 4 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Broody AGAIN already?
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:04 »
Minnie's chick is 7and a half weeks. Minnie (silkie cross)  is starting to act like she might be broody. She has been laying for a couple of weeks. Is this likely so soon? I can't believe so soon after Bess dying that another problem looms to sort and poor little Georgie has no one to wander with. It makes her very vulnerable in the garden if I have to isolate Minnie. Mo and the Sabelpoots (sounds like a band :) ) are only out and about with my supervision. ALWAYS something as I keep saying!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Broody AGAIN already?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:57 »
They are really keeping you on your toes Jo57.  All my chicks are in together now and the 2 broodys are back together.  It is fun when they are all freeranging with my other 6 large hens but they muddle along quite well. 

Hope that you manage to break Minnies broody habit quickly, that is if you don't want any more chicks!  :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 17:14 »
 :) Enough chicks for now! Need some laying. I am turfing Minnie out and can shut coop as she was the only one laying anyway ;) I am letting the others out more now and all should be in together soon. Don't know whether to get a couple of POL  or just wait while the others grow.However, they are not really layers more pretty pets I think  and not sure of ratio boys/girls yet but am thinking 2/2 or maybe 1/3 if I'm lucky. Minnie's chick would really surprise me if turned out to be a boy though.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 18:48 »
We got our Black Rocks at POL but still had to wait 14 weeks for the first egg.  You would also need to quarantine any new birds for a few weeks.  Which would mean more on your plate than you possibly need at the moment.   :unsure:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 22:42 »
true...so will carry on as we are and just have to buy eggs for the time being  :(

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 35 queries.