Hardening off Courgettes & Sweetcorn

• 14 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Hardening off Courgettes & Sweetcorn
« on: June 11, 2012, 14:44 »
Do you think it's warm enough yet to start hardening off my courgettes and sweetcorn given the strange weather we've been having with wind, rain and cold?

Or shall I wait a couple more weeks?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Hardening off Courgettes & Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 15:22 »
If you have somewhere sheltered and can bring them back inside at night then I think you should do it, especially given your location -  they should really have at least a week to harden off so waiting a couple of weeks is not really an option nearly half way through June.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 15:22 »
With the present weather conditions I'd give them a repot and hope the skys clear.   ;) Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 15:30 »
I'm not that far away and my courgettes are in the plot and (hopefully) defying the gales. I put them in after a week of hardening off and they are starting to take off despite the colder weather.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 16:00 »
Hi Ponygirl.

My courgettes and sweetcorn were put in last week in my St Leonards allotment. 

The courgettes were so big (they had filled 12" pots), they were taking up far too much space in my coldframe so I had to bite the bullet and go for it as I needed the coldframe space to harden off some tomatoes for a plant fair this Saturday. 

I have put cut down v large water bottle cloches over the top of the more exposed ones as insurance - particularly with the winds we had last week as I didn't want them getting damaged. 

Walking around the site last week, most plotholders have put their sweetcorn in already.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 16:09 »
I planted sweetcorn and cucurbits yesterday.  Our greenhouse has had the door open for several weeks allowing plants inside to harden off (it's a diy job, with .lots of ventillation!).  The damp weather will at least mean that they get well watered whilst they establish.

I'd definitely start hardening them off somewhere sheltered if they've been completely greenhouse grown until now.

ozziebob

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 20:51 »
Hi, I'm in Eastbourne and planted out my first batch of 22 sweetcorn 4 weeks ago after hardening them off outside in a rubbish bin covered in fleece for a couple of weeks. They are growing really well. I planted a second batch (to avoid a glut) last week and they are also doing fine despite being exposed to those strong winds last week.

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 20:54 »
My courgettes obviously were not strong enough as 4 out of 5 did not survive the gales and rain last week.  I have not ventured down to the plot today to see if the remaining one is still alive.  Fingers crossed!

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:12 »
Thanks everyone, I'll try them in a sheltered spot in the garden for a week and bring them in at night. Maybe the weather will settle down by the time I plant them out!

Feels more like October today though - where did summer go?!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 20:59 »
I'm with you Pony Girl, I braved it this afternoon and ended up having to change before I could pick up the children from nursery!  I must admit, I was so grateful I had left an old jacket in the shed as I was freezing!

I checked on the squash plants today and they looked OK but I  did put up some wind protection as I am considering putting in outdoor tomatoes (I know, I am kidding myself!).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 21:01 by angelavdavis »

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:17 »
Thanks everyone.

The forecast for tomorrow in our area is heavy rain showers. It will be their 2nd day of hardening off and being brought in at night (courgettes and sweetcorn - I put them out for the first time today).

Should I avoid putting them out if the weather is bad or let them get on with it? They’re in a fairly sheltered spot in the garden although it can get quite windy where we are and the sun doesn’t come round until late afternoon.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48 »
Unfortunately you have to take the chance sometime unless you can predict the weather, I would (and will do tomorrow) plant out then protect them with fleece as a windbreak. 4 canes each with fleece wrapped around each one, a larger structure for the sweetcorn.
Paul

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 13:59 »
I think I'll need to harden them off for a few more days as they've only been out of the house for the first time today.

Fleece sounds like a good idea when they're ready to plant, though once they're up at the plot I'll only get to see them 2-3 times per week.

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 00:42 »
hi ya,  :) i put some courget seeds straight in to the ground with a clear plastic bag over them held down with stones, they are 2inches high now, geting a space ready to trans plant them...........pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09 »
Yeah, it's amazing how fast those fellas grow!!  :lol:

clip
Courgettes - hardening off

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 11:04
by Geordie
xx
hardening off sweetcorn

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 20:19
by bazh
xx
sweetcorn and courgettes

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 20:26
by gobs
xx
Hardening off...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 13:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 37 queries.