Should I give up on my peas?

• 7 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Should I give up on my peas?
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:08 »
I planted out my sugar snap peas 4 weeks ago and the wind got to most of them. Those which were left have barely grown at all since I planted them and are still about 8 inches high. Also I only have about 12 plants left. I'd tied lots of string between the canes for them to grip onto but they haven't, and I'd added lots of compost and blood and bone to the soil so I'm not sure where I went wrong, other than not protecting them enough from the wind.

Is it worth letting them continue? Or should I use the bed for something else? I have some sweetcorn ready to plant out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Should I give up on my peas?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42 »
My sugar snaps only really got going a week or so ago having been slow to germinate and then slow to grow (now about 3' tall, 3-4' further to go!)

You are a bit further north than I am so if they look healthy they should still grow, although with only 12 of them if they are taking up too much space it could be better to "out" them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 19:10 »
Plant the sweetcorn out on this bed and allow the peas to climb them if they want to - the peas won't be in the way.

I wonder if you could consider pushing a few pea seeds into the soil while you are planting out? I dont think the pea boat has left the shore just yet (but not long to go).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 20:13 »
Peas won't grow up sweetcorn - they need supports.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 20:17 »
Hi Yorkiegal,

Mine are exactly the same and you can't get much further South than me!  Any farther and my feet would be in the English Channel! 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 23:44 »
Yorkie - but peas have tendrils that they use to cling onto structures with - like sweetcorn. Or just push a few twigs in around the sweetcorn and the peas will use them instead. I still think it is a plan.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 20:54 »
Yorkie - but peas have tendrils that they use to cling onto structures with - like sweetcorn. Or just push a few twigs in around the sweetcorn and the peas will use them instead. I still think it is a plan.

No reason not to give it a try - but in my experience the tendrils need something proper to cling on to, which sweetcorn is not.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 21:11 »
Peas need something thin to cling onto if they are going to be  to climb. Sweetcorn is only that during its early life. At that stage peas will overwhelm it.

I say it's not a good idea.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Never give up ...

Started by Highfield on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 21:43
by Yorkie
xx
I give up

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by Yabba

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 29 queries.