celeriac has bolted

• 7 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
celeriac has bolted
« on: June 01, 2012, 13:31 »
Help - where have I gone wrong? Sowed seed in January and planted out last month into beautiful rich trenches. They have had nothing but lavish TLC and now they have started making flowers. I have cut the flowering shoots off but what do you think their prospects are now?
Rachael

Trillium

Re: celeriac has bolted
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 14:38 »
You did everything right, but sadly it's the weather to blame. Celeriac, and relative celery, cannot take great fluctuations in weather as we've had. And cold weather tends to make celeriac/celery bolt. So I assume you've had a length of cold weather.

It's really hard to say whether or not it will continue to bulb up. You've cut off the flower head so let it grow a bit longer and see what it does. If it continues to put out more flower shoots, then pull it up because it will continue to try to seed and not bulb. And keep your fingers crossed for more stable weather next year.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 00:23 »
Once they have bolted they will not be any good.

Celery and celariac bolt if they experience less than 12 degrees C for 24 hours. For that reason it is better not to start them too early. First week in March is early enough, even then this year saw some cold days in April.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:20 »
This is my first year growing celeriac, its in the corner of my poly tunnel. Sorry don't know the answer to your question but just thought i would add i am  growing it to hahaha.
Thanks
Kris

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37 »
This year was its last chance, I told myself if I couldn't manage to get a root bigger than a tennis ball yet again, then I wouldn't bother with it again. Only now I will never know whether I would have had a decent sized root! And what to do with those empty trenches, still with so much goodness in them, any suggestions as to what i could put in instead? It's a bit late to start anything else off from scratch.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:02 »
Buy some celariac plants from a garden centre.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:42 »
Beans - dwarf French, if you don't want to bother putting up a structure - will definitely enjoy a nice rich trench.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 13:27 »
Hmm I already have loads of french beans on the go, climbing and french, but I might see if I can find some celeriac plants in the garden centre, that's a good idea.

xx
Bolted...what now?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 20:28
by Trikidiki
xx
rhubarb bolted

Started by HevO22 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 18:28
by Yorkie
xx
bolted onions

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 18:21
by pushrod
xx
Bolted chard.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 14:18
by TerryB

Page created in 5.421 seconds with 30 queries.