Minnie's chick again

• 2 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Minnie's chick again
« on: May 28, 2012, 20:12 »
Hi...sorry yet more questions relating to growing chick. Chick and mum have been on chick crumbs for 4 and 1/2 weeks as well as free ranging more and more for last week when chick has been tucking into what ever it can find including layers pellets with mum Minnie as well as the chick crumbs which have been always available in the little coop. This evening Minnie and chick have gone to bed in the main coop and look very smug and settled there. If I now need to be giving growers pellets to just the chick how do you think I can target her without greedy Bess eating those instead of the layers pellets she needs. All seem happily integrated so far although Bess hasn't yet noticed them in the coop she has had to herself since Minnie and Mo went broody. As I keep saying...always something to be mulling over and worrying about ....and that is without my new little hatchlings...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Minnie's chick again
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 22:20 »
That is a tricky one.  The chick should be on chick crumb until 6 weeks and whatever when freeranging.  Then growers pellets until POL.  Layers pellets as I understand it are not good for chicks. 

Can you have mum and chick in a separate enclosure for the day time so they have the right food.  Mum is fine eating the same as the chick, she doesn't need layers when she is not laying.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Casey76

Re: Minnie's chick again
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:33 »
A few weeks on growers pellets won't hurt a laying hen, just make sure they are ACS free if you want to keep eating the eggs :)

Alos make sure that there is plenty of oystershell available at all times.  You may notice that Bess gains a little weight eating growers pellets, but als long as you reduce treats it should balance out.

xx
Minnie's chick 4 weeks on

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 15:27
by cheekychick22
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
chick

Started by greenjay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 09:48
by New shoot

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 29 queries.