Manure Too Hot For Courgette & Squash?

• 11 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Manure Too Hot For Courgette & Squash?
« on: May 22, 2012, 17:14 »
So shortly I will be needing to plant out courgette and a squash and had heard that these like being planted into a mound of compost/manure, problem is the horse manure that's available on our allotment is fairly fresh, and so very strong. In light of that will planting directly into soil, minus the goodness of compost, be worthwhile, or as productive?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure Too Hot For Courgette & Squash?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 17:24 »
My first year on my plot I had no manure or compost at all. I dug in a couple of handfuls of chicken pellets and planted!
Once they started fruiting I fed them with liquid tomato food poured into a half bottle 'planted' by the side of each of them, it works just as well as manure  :D

You'll have trouble stopping them once they get going  :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 21:01 »
If you can't get rotted manure, then perhaps you can get hold of some comfrey or stinging nettles (do wear gloves!) and soak them in a bucket of water for a few weeks. It'll stink something awful, but you can then drain off some of the liquid into a water can, add more water, and drench both leaves and soil for a good feeding.

Seaweed in either powder or liquid is also a good organic fertilizer and available at most shops until your manure ages.

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 21:24 »
I plant my courgettes straight into a pile of well rotted cow poo and have never had any problems. In fact every year I've always managed a bumper crop.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 22:17 »
I plant mine into horse poo that's about 3 months old at the most - they do pretty well. One is now 3 foot high and rising.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 22:18 »
I've got four courgettes out on the plot now (fingers crossed, though I have backups) - I think I may have to use the water bottle trick.

Even with organic mulch or weed control fabric I assume this method of watering is essential if you don't want to water twice a day?

Or... would less intensive watering, just mulching, encourage deeper roots?
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 22:55 »

Seaweed in either powder or liquid is also a good organic fertilizer and available at most shops until your manure ages.

I know it's possible to make liquid seaweed feed by adding water to the dry seaweed compound - but is that calcified seaweed or can it be done with seaweed meal as well, do you know?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32 »
I have dry kelp meal that I add to the soil but I'm not sure it would make a very good liquid feed (not dissolve). If you have it, just add it to the soil.

If you have the extract, powder or liquid concentrate, that can be made into liquid feed.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:15 »
I always dig a good sack of manure under my courgettes....not to bothered how rotted it is as long as it's at least on the way. I feel it's as much about water retention as feeding.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 13:36 »
Have you got a horse on your plot producing the muck ? hot and steaming may not be the best but if you look around a horse paddock or a field of cows you will see grass growing it does not kill everything as some seem to imply

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 14:07 »
Fresh manure doesn't kill established grass, nor does it encourage growth. It mostly temporarily stunts growth. You'll notice that where horse/cow flops sit, the grass remains short for quite a while, nor will the cows/horses graze anywhere near it, which is why more farmers are not pasturing their livestock.

But established grasses are quite different to delicate young squash seedlings and roots.  You can't compare apples to oranges.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 18:58 »
The point I am trying to make is there are some who believe fifty years on a heap is still to fresh, how long till it is not fresh a day a week a month unless it is hot and steaming it will not do any damage,

xx
Courgette & squash

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 14:05
by Pony Girl
xx
Squash v courgette

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 20:48
by Christine
clip
Help with courgette/marrow/squash

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 08:28
by DD.
xx
Pumpkin, squash and courgette.

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 19:00
by Totty

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 30 queries.