poorly hen

• 8 Replies

cheekychick22

poorly hen
« on: May 20, 2012, 15:05 »
 I have just been down to my chickens to ensure thay are ok and found that my speclady has blood comimg from her vent. i have washed her and dried her and the bleeding seems to have stopped now.I think also she may be eggbound so i am really really worried any advice please

kegs

Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 15:31 »
When was the last time she laid an egg?  Have you confirmed that there's no sign of a prolapse (I'm sure you have if you've already washed and dried her), if it's not a prolapse you could spray on some gentian violet spray to cover up the blood and it has antiseptic in it too as it could be that she's been pecked by one of the other chickens.  If she's egg bound then a warm bath might help, then dry her with a hair drier on the warm (not hot) setting and you could try rubbing some Vaseline on her vent (and slightly inside) which may help pass the egg.

cheekychick22

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 16:08 »
ive bathed her showered her blowed dried her. i cant feel an egg but she is trying the other hens keep trying to peck her behind so ive seperated them at the moment really dont know what to do next

kegs

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 16:14 »
Have you seen any sign of a soft shelled eggs contents anywhere?  I'm wondering if she's got a broken shell that she's having difficulty passing and the others keep going for her behind because the want the contents.  You could try putting some vasaline on her to see if that helps.  The bath is to help her relax underneath which sometimes helps pass the egg or shell.  I think they have to be in a warm bath or bucket for about 20 mins or so for it to be a help.  I would still keep her separated if the others are pecking her but if you keep her in doors don't let her get too hot.  How is she in herself as it can make them appear quite ill when they have to pass a soft shelled egg. Good luck.

cheekychick22

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 16:17 »
shes not eating not even mealworms that i give as a treat and she is normally the worst for them.

she is preening though and wanting cuddles i have a broody on eggs at the moment as well so they are quiet stressful at the moment

cheekychick22

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 21:26 »
A quick update she is doing really well habe a dust bath with the other hens today going barmy over the meal worms and enjoying her cuddles i think she laid thisnmorning muchbto my relief  still a bitvrunny poo though so ive wormed them all for safety sake but alls well up to know even my nroody left her eggs today to have a sun bathe forna short while

cheekychick22

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 14:49 »
 :( :( :( my specklady got better and started to lay eggs every day but took a turn for the worst last week had a prolape and damaged her bladder in the process so had to have her destroyed was not happy

Beano

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 15:03 »
Very sorry to hear your news. My sympathies to you.
El.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 16:07 »
Oh so sorry.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by frillfoll on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 09:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly hen???

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:13
by Kathie
xx
Poorly hen. Please help!

Started by Caramelle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 11:43
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 28 queries.