Which Kale Variety?

• 29 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Which Kale Variety?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 20:44 »
Cavolo has been the toughest survivor so far, and the pigeons only started to eat it in the depths of winter when there was nothing else  :D  I like it!  I think it's great in soups and stews, oh and stir fries of course

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 20:57 »
Another one for Nero Di Toscana here I grow it every year and not just as a winter green we use it in salads when it's young I must be in a minority though it's never bothered by slugs or pigeons so it's the only brassica that doesn't get netted white fly do like it but a soapy spray every week seems to work, I will be gowing dwarf green curly this year after trying some from a friend.

A lot on our site knock kale but if cooked properly it's an easy to grow, lovely tasting and versatile veg.
Faff free zone!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 21:29 »
Yeah, the reason I've never grown it before is because I thought it was truly disgusting when I bought some from the supermarket :) Hopefully freshly grown will be a big improvement on that.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 21:47 »
Yeah, the reason I've never grown it before is because I thought it was truly disgusting when I bought some from the supermarket :) Hopefully freshly grown will be a big improvement on that.

the one sold in shop is simply shredded leaf of kale. when pick your own kale, you can choose the best and remove the hard bit in the middlw of the leaf. then cook the tender bits. Kale is very nutritous.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 09:06 »
I'm doing dwarf green and cavolo nero this year. I'm new to kale, so can anyone advise me how many plants I need to get a steady supply for two people?

Shokkyy like sunshineband I grew 10 plants of my Reflex Kale (and 4 Tuscan) and had a supply of Kale all winter. By that I mean I could have had 2 meals a week for 2 of us with the Reflex and 1 of the Tuscan - Hope that makes sense.
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 17:46 »
Cavolo has been the toughest survivor so far, and the pigeons only started to eat it in the depths of winter when there was nothing else  :D  I like it!  I think it's great in soups and stews, oh and stir fries of course

Did you have to net it CQ?

Agree totally about soups and stews, it really does bring some green (red) bulk to the mix!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 17:49 »
I did net mine as I didn't want pigeons to even nibble it a little bit ... blue water pipe with four foot canes, and bird netting weighted down was quick and easy to move aside for harvesting
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 17:58 »
I did net mine as I didn't want pigeons to even nibble it a little bit ... blue water pipe with four foot canes, and bird netting weighted down was quick and easy to move aside for harvesting

Thanks KC - nice to know you managed to get that done - we will probably net too!

We tried to use the older stems, but the steel bars that they produce down the leaves, became somewhat rusty and hard on the mandibles...;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 18:03 »

Thanks KC - nice to know you managed to get that done - we will probably net too!

We tried to use the older stems, but the steel bars that they produce down the leaves, became somewhat rusty and hard on the mandibles...;0)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I managed to palm them off on folks' chickens  ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 09:44 »
Tuscan, cavollo, palm cabbage, which ever name is in fashion at the time  ::) for me.

I prefer the flavour over the curly kinds, but it is personal choice of course.

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 09:57 »
I have grown dwarf green curly kale, red curly kale, tuscan kale and one other I can't remember.

I always come back to the dwarf green. Small sturdy plants, about 8 will provide a steady supply until it gets really cold, then they sit there until spring when you can get a late flush before they go to seed. Having said that if you keep picking regularly you can keep them going until about now on occasion.

The other varieties I have grown get tall and are subject to a bit of wind rock (my site is fairly exposed), and never seen to provide as much return IMHO.

Dwarf green for me every time.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

annied

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 14:13 »
Once again thanks for all the interesting info. I might have a go a growing a few dwarf and a few of the italian and see how we get along. have noted this morning that the pigeons have decided to nest in the conifer in the garden!. Everything is already netted, might have to include the Kale as well. Will be interesting to see if the pigeons are interested as you all appear to have had differnt experinces with our feathered friends  ::)

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17 »
The black Tuscan is probably the most attractive, but I prefer the taste of the Russian Red.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 08:06 »
I like the Italian black kale for pasta sauces and soup and usually grow green one as well for side veg.  I'm thinking 6 of each for 2 of us will see us through  :)

I can confirm that my chickens thoroughly enjoyed the gift of bolted kale plants Sunshine brought for them a few weeks ago , although they stripped them down to stalks and steel bars, so even they baulked at tackling those  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 20:00 »
I like the Italian black kale for pasta sauces and soup and usually grow green one as well for side veg.  I'm thinking 6 of each for 2 of us will see us through  :)

I can confirm that my chickens thoroughly enjoyed the gift of bolted kale plants Sunshine brought for them a few weeks ago , although they stripped them down to stalks and steel bars, so even they baulked at tackling those  :lol:

I wish I'd known chooks liked them News, I chucked all ours for compost...

We've got a chum nearby with six hens, and they are darlings...

xx
Kale-Tuscan variety

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 15:21
by noshed
xx
Kale help ????

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 16:35
by RichardA
xx
Kale help please!

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 17:10
by Totty
xx
what is on my kale?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 14:16
by andreadon

Page created in 0.883 seconds with 29 queries.