Which Kale Variety?

• 29 Replies

annied

Which Kale Variety?
« on: May 16, 2012, 21:44 »
Hi
I'm thinking of growing kale this year in the area where the onions will hopefully have been!
There are so many varieties and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. How dwarf is a dwarf variety. Our raised bed is 5.5 ft square. Finally does the soil need to be a certain depth? I'm presuming like sprouts it might suffer from wind rock???
All answers gratefully received
Thanks

Fisherman

Re: Which Kale Variety?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 21:56 »
I like the Italian Kale Cavolo De Nero and its pretty easy to grow. It needs to be protected from cabbage white butterfly's or it will be covered in caterpillars in no time. I grew purple Kale from Mr Fothergills next to Cavolo De Nero last year and it was completely unaffected by cabbage whites! Its a bit on the tall side though for a small raised bed.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 21:58 »
I grow Tuscan kale, aka dinosaur/black kale, aka Tuscan, which sort of looks like cabbage that doesn't head up. It's straight stems and very nice, easy to ,pick and grows to about 2 ft high. Never had any problems with wind rocking since it's not as fussy as brussel sprouts. I just stick them in the ground and water from time to time if it's dry. Gives a very good crop. But you will need to net it as cabbage whites adore it like all other brassicas. Soil depth should be at least 8".

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 22:37 »
I would go with the Tuscan kale aka Cavolo Nero.  I netted mine in the early stages, but later on it was ignored by both pigeons, butterflies and white fly, but perhaps I was just lucky.  Also seemed to be slug proof.  Productive and very tasty.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 22:46 »
Cavolo Nero is a bit strong tasting for me, I grew Red Russian Kale last winter, it's a lot milder in flavour and when young it can even go in a salad ;)
Joy Larkcom recommends it in her book, Grow Your Own Vegetables - so I tried it :D
http://www.sowvegetables.co.uk/kale_russian_red.htm

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 22:49 »
As above I grow Cavolo De Nero / Tuscan kale whatever it is called and also Reflex, which is tallish but very nice and tender and enjoyed by my 6 year old daughter which is always a bonus. With both never had any troubles with the dreaded cabbage white  :)

Trying a dwarf variety this year, suprisingly enough called "Dwarlf Green Curled" but not in a position to comment on it yet. The intention is I start it off next month and it will go into the large tubs previously occupied by tomatoes grown in the garden at end of September. The packet doesn't indicate how tall it grows I'm afraid.
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 22:52 »
Cavolo Nero is my choice too.  I grew a dwarf kale a few years ago and found the texture to be mush when cooked.  I netted the Cavolo Nero against cabbage whites but whitefly loved them.
Cheese makes everything better.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 23:00 »
I agree with the Black Tuscan kale (Cavalo Nero) Seeds of Italy (masses of seed)
I did 2 sowings last year and we're still eating the second sowing!
Wonderful stuff! Not tough or stringy, good flavour, versatile, easy to grow, very hardy and fairly slug free.
As others have said...early sowings need to be netted against butterfly but my later sowing was in the open.
I cannot praise it enough and as you can't usually buy it (or if you can it's pricey) it's a good use of space over the Winter.
Looks nice too!

annied

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 17:10 »
Thanks for all your replies.
 Clearly there is a majority vote here. I'm wondering if the young leaves can be used in salad as with the red russian kale???
How many plants to my 5 x 5ft space??

Christine

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 18:14 »
Not very many at all as all kales are spreading type plants. They need room.

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 18:36 »
Tuscan Kale is quite upright and not too spreading, compared with broad leaved kales, especially if you use it on a "cut and come again" basis. 

My raised bed is 4 foot across, and I got 3 plants in a 4 foot row last year.   You would probably get about 3 rows in I would guess, and possibly 4 plants per row in a 5ft bed, giving a total of around 12 plants, which would be plenty.

I grew 4 plants last year and produced a total of 2.5kg.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 18:47 »
I grew dwarf  green curly kale last year, and ten plants saw us through from November to mid April. It tasted superb and we preferred it to black tuscan kale, which we had the previous year.

Red curly one might have been Ok but I fell on them and only had one plant which lingered before passing on  :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 19:02 »
I grew green curly Kale too last year and it was really tasty. I have just sown some kale fizz, and I am interested to see what that is like.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 20:39 »
I'm doing dwarf green and cavolo nero this year. I'm new to kale, so can anyone advise me how many plants I need to get a steady supply for two people?

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 20:41 »
'Scarlet', by T and M!

Great plant, swift and easy to grow, and although clobbered by whitefly, it is a great additive to soups come autumn. Magical steamed with Balsamic Vinegar too!

We have the same seed from last year, all the sown the plants are up to about three inches now, and they'll go out soon.

We usually sneer at Kale, but it is really a Godsend when all else is finishing/being slugged etc during the winter months!

xx
Kale-Tuscan variety

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 15:21
by noshed
xx
what is on my kale?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 14:16
by andreadon
xx
Kale

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2019, 21:45
by Dev
xx
Kale help!!

Started by petersson on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 09:33
by petersson

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 38 queries.