Could I

• 21 Replies

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: Could I
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 23:55 »
Put some French bean plants out now under some pop bottle cloches or is it still too cold

Yes you could and I'm sure they will do well unless we have a big frost, go for it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 00:01 by bazh »
Faff free zone!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 12:27 »
Three French bean plants planted under cloches
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Spana

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 12:49 »
My french beans are in pots and have been out for a few nights.  We haven't had a frost but its been cold. I've grouped the pots together, put sticks in  and thrown an old duvet over them.

You could put the bottle covers on then cover them with and old towel or curtain. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 16:36 »
says early may for me too but the frost got to my marigolds a couple of nights ago.

Last frost date in York is usually said to be the end of May.  I wouldn't believe that report of early May.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 00:19 »
Eek! I've only just got the seeds out of the packet today...! I'm not too late, surely???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 06:17 »
No you're not too late. You're saving yourself a lot of hassle.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

LilacSandy

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 08:03 »
I shall be sowing French beans in succession up until early July, I just put a few in for the hopes of an early crop. 

The only reason I have planted out my borlotto beans is that I put them in too early and they are outgrowing their pots.  I saved my seeds from last year and quite frankly did not think they would grow so I put a lot in and I had over 90% germination  :happy:.  I have loads left to put in about the middle of June if I want a late crop.

Page created in 0.811 seconds with 29 queries.