Cherry tomatoes - when should we feed and support?

• 23 Replies

Raven81

This is our first attempt at growing anything at all. Ever.  :ohmy:

Mr Raven planted the cherry tomato seeds over Easter sometime (I didn't expect them to grow so didn't take any notice!)  They are in small pots on our kitchen table with tinfoil behind.  They are roughly 5 inches tall.

My question is when should we feed them? Apparently the soil feeds them for 4 months but Mr Raven wasn't sure and wants to give them the best chance, so figured this was the best place to ask.  :D

Another question: they are turned a couple of times a day as they are in a real sun trap and will obviously grow toward the light, when should we start to support them and what with?  :blush:

Thanks in advance.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Cherry tomatoes - when should we feed and support?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 17:52 »
Stick a cane in the pot!  :lol:

There is no need to feed until the first tomato has "set", otherwise you can encourage leaf growth rather than fruit growth.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 17:53 »
What variety are they?  I ask because they could be bush, tumbling bush or another type so this changes what type of support they might need.  As for feeding, if the plants are still nice and green, you don't need to start until they produce the first truss of fruit.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 19:06 »
Thank you very much both of you. 

I shall try to find the seed packet that I "tidied away" somewhere and let you know the type!  ::)

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 19:18 »
Still haven't found the packet so I'm afraid I can't answer the question as to the type! 

They are, however, suppported now (loosely tied to canes) and in larger pots.

My next question is as to why the leaves seem to wilt in the evenings.  They definately have enough water, I wondered if this is just to do with the sun going down, or if we are doing something wrong.  Any ideas?

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 21:23 »
Mine looked to do the same, (kind of a sad look) and was advised it was the warmth in a night (could have been one cold night), so I move it in on a iChat and it's picking up. Where is it kept?
New grower here - handle with care!!

Raven81

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 21:43 »
Thank you Poolman for your reply.

They are kept on my kitchen table in front of the window.  The window is double glazed and it is lovely and warm in the daytime.  It doesn't get overly cold at night but maybe at the moment its that bit too chilly for them!

Hmm now I wish we hadn't planted eleven of them - its an awful lot to move every night!

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 21:53 »
I would say where I kept the sulking one (rather large) was colder than your kitchen. If you look at the pics in my grow diary thing then you will see the little ones I did from seed and the grafted b & q which is the one which was giving me grief

Raven81

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 22:09 »
Thank you poolman.  They do have that same look, tho are rather smaller than yours!  Hopefully as the weather starts to warm up they will improve.

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 22:28 »
They say they need 10c at least to do ok. Good luck

Raven81

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37 »
Ok so, a few weeks on and they are called "Gardeners delight" tomatoes.

The smallest is around 6 inches tall and the largest is around 11 inches.  No signs of any flowers yet, tho I wouldn't expect this yet!  They are always at a minimum of 15 degrees c.

I am finding it difficult to find any information on how long they take for each stage to develop.  ie how tall they should be now and when they should start to flower and then when they should go on to bear fruit.

Please can anyone either advise me or let me know where I can find this information.

Thank you.

Edited as I forgot to say please and thankyou!! :wub:

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:44 »
I know what you mean, I planted over 100 from seed!

Thank you Poolman for your reply.

They are kept on my kitchen table in front of the window.  The window is double glazed and it is lovely and warm in the daytime.  It doesn't get overly cold at night but maybe at the moment its that bit too chilly for them!

Hmm now I wish we hadn't planted eleven of them - its an awful lot to move every night!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:22 »
I am finding it difficult to find any information on how long they take for each stage to develop.  ie how tall they should be now and when they should start to flower and then when they should go on to bear fruit.

You won't find that info it depends on light temperature and soil; most people have tomatoes ready in July, but this year appears a bit slower than usual because of the cold/dark weather in April.

Just carry on growing them and they'll get there when they're ready, same as any growing thing ;)

Raven81

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:28 »
Thank you MoS.  I was worried we may be doing something wrong as everyone else's seem to doing better!  :wacko:

We will just keep going with it - and hopefully eventually get them outside so I can have my dining table back  :ohmy:!

xx
Support for big tomatoes?

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2016, 02:55
by Beekissed
xx
How to support tomatoes in buckets

Started by Shandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 18:52
by strangerachael
xx
Cherry tomatoes

Started by Thrift on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 13:43
by mumofstig
xx
Cherry Tomatoes

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2022, 22:59
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 38 queries.