using that blue water pipe stuff

• 15 Replies

JohnB47

using that blue water pipe stuff
« on: May 09, 2012, 19:28 »
Thinking of buying some of this to make hoops and cover with netting for my berry plants. I see it comes in different bore sizes. Any advice in what to get? I'm wondering about being able to get dowelling (broom handle?) to fit in it to secure each end in the ground, also rigitity. Also planning to get that woven sort of netting, rather than the more rigid plastic molded stuff. Any advice on this (what/where to buy and best construction practice) appreciated.

Thanks.

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Re: using that blue water pipe stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 19:50 »
I've just brought some blue water pipe off eBay online, they do all sizes at good prices. I also brought soft netting online from main frame direct, that plastic pea type netting drives me mad!

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 20:13 »
I've got 20mm and it is OK, some others have 25mm. I was also recommended to use the black pipe as it is UV stabilised. Don't know if it makes much difference. Got mine from Screwfix. I use roughly 2 foot lengths of bamboo cane pushed half into pipe and rest into the ground to support them. Covered with scaffold netting from ebay.

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 20:36 »
Ask at your local building site. They use it for temporary supplies to their toilets and canteens and normally throw it away at the end of the job.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 20:47 »
You can get debris netting from many building sites. I think they're only supposed to use it once.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 21:38 »
I use the 25mm because it was free. I always just push 6-8'' straight into the ground.

Yer Tiz!!

RuthLG

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 21:48 »
How do you keep the top rigid (ie the arcshes from swaying from side to side)? And how do you attach the netting/fleece/whatever?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 21:55 »
I use 20mm because it was, ahem, free.  (Brother is a builder and has lots of things crying out to be liberated) ;)  These are some ideas for hoops.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=59123.0

Cheese makes everything better.

Totty

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 22:19 »
I manage to find some yellow tubing that is very strong when i need it. I use a lengths of reinforce metal off cuts about 10 inches deep and push the tubing over them. Then just tie a piece of string to the first hoop, around the next one, and so on, then tie to your last hoop. Do this on top and halfway down the sides and your tunnel will stay nice and rigid and the string will also help the netting keep a domed shape rather that sinking in.

Totty

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23 »
Thanks for all the great responses.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 11:16 »
I found mine were much more stable when crossed - X shape and tied at the top. I found some extra wide clothes pegs in Wilko's and they hold the netting onto the pipe.

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 21:45 »
How do you keep the top rigid (ie the arcshes from swaying from side to side)? And how do you attach the netting/fleece/whatever?
I never worry to much if you peg your netting down tight. I make pegs from short lengths of timber with a felt nail driven into one end.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 18:34 »

I use wire wound around each hoop and attached to cheap tent pegs (from Poundland http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/outdoor-solutions-tent-pegs---10-pack/ in my case) either end.  I have tried using canes threaded through the drilled pvc pipe and also larger pieces of wood but always go back to this method as they always seems fairly stable and its a cheap method.  Here is a pic:

I use enviromesh over these with clips (I wind the fabric around the centre prong and push these in to stop damaging as if pierced, cabbage whites get in).  http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Fleece_Pegs.html  Although advertised as fleece pegs I use them for environmesh also.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 18:38 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

savbo

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:45 »
I found mine were much more stable when crossed - X shape and tied at the top. I found some extra wide clothes pegs in Wilko's and they hold the netting onto the pipe.

b*m was in there yesterday, they sound ideal!

JohnB47

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 19:16 »
Thanks for the extra info. Just spotted it.

xx
MDPE Blue Pipe

Started by Dopey113 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 14:31
by Dopey113
xx
blue water butts

Started by gorymorph on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 16:27
by tode
xx
Cheap water butts and water butt pumps

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 20:50
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Water Butt Offer from Yorkshire Water

Started by SweetPea on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 15:58
by Basil Fawlty

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 28 queries.