I have a sick chicken. Please help. :{

• 5 Replies

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
I have a sick chicken. Please help. :{
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:42 »
Hi again Chicken Friends,

You have always been so helpful everytime I have needed advice about my girls...and today, I need a little more, please.

My hen is dropping very watery poo with lots of olive green and white in it. There is no blood. She is listless, hardly walking around and having a little fresh grass. She's not showing any interest in her fresh water or her corn/mash.

I have separated her from the other chickens, who are giving her a bit of grief. I think they attacked her a couple of times in the coop over the weekend, but she is not hurt as far as I can see. She seems okay to wander around on the grass on her own, but she is not as energetic as she usually is.

Any advice will be welcome as to what medication I can treat her with.

Thanks ever so much.

Suz

kegs

Re: I have a sick chicken. Please help. :{
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19 »
Here's the poo guide so you can check the pictures against your chicken's.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

How old is your chicken and have you noticed whether she's laid an egg recently.  One of mine was very off colour a few days ago.  I was watching her closely and she laid a large soft shelled egg, took herself off to the nest box for an hour and came out later right as rain.  That night she seemed to pass some remnants of soft shell, but has been fine since.  It really seems to take it out of them when this happens and could be what is wrong with your chicken.  You might find that a warm bath will ease her and help her pass an egg if she's having trouble and then you can dry her with a hair dryer on the warm setting (not hot).

Keep an eye on her for a bit longer and if she continues looking ill you may have to take her to your vet.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38 »
Hi there

Water poos can also be a sign of worms - have you wormed your hens recently?
Helen

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 14:56 »
Hi there,

Thanks so much for the replies.

I don't think she's laid very much recently, as our egg count has fallen. She is just under a year old now. She was chased by a tom cat about six months ago and had a broken egg inside her, with similar symptoms, but had recovered from her ordeal with rest and separation from the other hens. 

Have not wormed them recently, but I have the medication for that and will give her a dose today to see if it helps. I have also cleaned her coop to shine like a new pin and made sure she has easy access to food and water, and a clean bed. Poor thing. :{ My son will be devastated if anything happens to her because she is his favourite chicken.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Suz

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 15:03 »
@ Kegs,

Thanks for the poo guide. I was looking for that again this morning and couldn't find it. :} Her poos look nothing like any of those on there, except sharing a similarity with the 'watery' one by being very runny.

Come to think of it, it also seemed very 'gloopy', much like egg white, and I am wondering now if her being attacked by the other hens has made her have another egg break inside her.

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 15:05 »
Hi there,

Thanks so much for the replies.

I don't think she's laid very much recently, as our egg count has fallen. She is just under a year old now. She was chased by a tom cat about six months ago and had a broken egg inside her, with similar symptoms, but had recovered from her ordeal with rest and separation from the other hens. 

Have not wormed them recently, but I have the medication for that and will give her a dose today to see if it helps. I have also cleaned her coop to shine like a new pin and made sure she has easy access to food and water, and a clean bed. Poor thing. :{ My son will be devastated if anything happens to her because she is his favourite chicken.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Suz

xx
Chicken being sick! Help

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 17:06
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken Sick?

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 18:52
by RICH_Chicken
xx
sick chicken

Started by 6girls on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:21
by bantam novice
xx
sick chicken help pls

Started by f7rr3ll on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 29 queries.