Transporting chickens

• 5 Replies

Mrs.Apron

• Wearing my apron with pride! :)
Transporting chickens
« on: May 08, 2012, 14:50 »
Hi folks,

In 3 weeks' time hubby and I will be going to collect our trio of Black Rocks, woo hoo!  :D

We are collecting them late on in the afternoon, using a large dog cage with hemcore on the floor of it.  We have a 3 hour drive though and I'm wondering if you can give us any tips on keeping them from being too stressed for that long.  We aim to keep the car quiet, airy and cool and thought perhaps a light weight sheet draped over three sides of the cage would help them feel more secure and settled.

Any advice or reassurance would be gratefully received!  Thanks.  :)

No sense in being pessimistic It wouldn’t work anyway.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Transporting chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 15:21 »
Depends on Temp really.

On a 3 hour drive i would stop at least once, air the car and give them fresh cool water.  May have to stop for a little while to give them time to calm down before the drink though!

They should be fine though
I hate signatures but love irony

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 16:40 »
When I took some chicks up to Scotland 4 years ago to Aggy and Munty, Munty told me to put a margarine tub in the box with them, and cut a sponge to fit it.  Fill that with water, then if the chickens are thirsty during the drive, they can help themselves, but the water won't spill.

These chicks were only 2 weeks old when I took them by train and it took us about 5 hours to get there!  Chicks were fine!

So as long as its dark and as cool as you can manage they will be fine.  They will sit down and go to sleep for most of the journey probably!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 16:40 »
I have driven back from the Scottish Borders with some birds before in a cardboard box (with lots of ventilation holes in them) and driven non-stop to Lincolnshire. The birds just tend to go to sleep in the dark, however when you do get them home make sure they can have a drink and some food before going to bed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 17:31 »
Our's only came from an hour away, we also used the dog crate with a towel over. They cooed all the way home and came straight out and got down to business eating and drinking as if they had lived there all their lives.

Mrs.Apron

• Wearing my apron with pride! :)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 18:40 »
Thanks everyone. :)  I feel much better about it all now.  I was worrying a wee bit, thinking they'd be distressed.  Great idea about the water and sponge.  Thanks for all your tips folks, much appreciated. xx

xx
Transporting chickens?

Started by infowarrior on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 10:46
by GrannieAnnie
xx
transporting chickens

Started by hermon on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 20, 2007, 06:34
by slowef
xx
Transporting Chickens

Started by parson on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 11:19
by Briony
question
Transporting chooks

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 16:40
by neil9797

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 37 queries.