Disinfectant for Mud runs

• 6 Replies

Fiona55

Disinfectant for Mud runs
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:16 »
Hi,  Is there anything I can use to disinfect the bottom of my mud/sand run.  I do not have anywhere alternative to let the chooks out - so it would need to be immediately chook friendly.  I do take out as much of the droppings as possible each evening after chook bed time so this does help.  Thaanks

compostqueen

Re: Disinfectant for Mud runs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:28 »
You could put some loose material on top to help dry things out. Also covering part of the run so they have somewhere dry is also a good plan

Loose material that can be poo picked is the equine bedding, eg Aubiose and Hemcore.  I found that easy to use but its best used in the covered bits

Or in the open areas you can lay down those large size bark chippings, which get cleared out every so often and can be bagged up for composting.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02 »
also sprinkle on a dry powder disinfectant such as Stalosan F which is safe for poultry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 13:49 »
I found there are quite a few different chemicals for this scenario.  I'm only new but have also been concerned.  I just did a quick search on eBay, discovered what was available and then ended up buying what I thought was best, which just so happens to be what the previous poster has also suggested, you can get ones that kill off worm eggs etc but as my POL only arrived on Sat and are worm tested I thought that was many a step too far.  I'll maybe look more into that in a few weeks when I'm reading up on worming.  My breeder said not to worry about it for another 6 weeks

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 14:57 »
I have always used Stalosan F. My chooks are partially on a muddy run and some parts of it can get a bit smelly - especially if it is particulary wet.
Stalosan F sprinkled lightly on the ground once they go in at night dries up the really muddy areas and makes it smell much fresher - it also reduces any worm burden in the ground left by droppings etc. It's perfectly harmless as well, so won't hurt your chooks if they injest a little of it. You can also use it in the coop to keep smells and damp at bay if for some reason you can't clean your chooks out at the normal interval, but watch how much you use because it's a dust after all. I wouldn't be without it.
I usually buy the 8kg tubs which I find cheaper to buy than the smaller tubs and lasts for ages. I use an old flour shaker to shake the dust out - a little goes a very long way!

splash101

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 15:22 »
Helenaj, i use Stalosan in an old shake and vac shaker (just another reason the neighbours must think im loopy lou) when my current diatom shaker is empty i will use that instead as it is much bigger and at least the neighbours wont be expecting me to come out in the garden with the vacuum cleaner.

If you cant cover the area to keep it dry, try digging the soil over periodically as well.

Fiona55

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:04 »
thanks everyone for their advice - I shall some buy some Stalosan F.  I have just partly covered the roof & sides to combat this monsoon weather, which has helped alot & made for happier chooks - Mine definitely do not like rain.  thanks again

xx
Disinfectant for mud runs - Sorry Newbie Chook keeper again

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 21:43
by themagicaltoad1
xx
disinfectant

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 13:08
by kegs
xx
What's the best disinfectant?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 20:48
by otis pony
xx
disinfectant for coop

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 10:23
by Tony H

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 31 queries.