Not nice things to bring home Miki

• 21 Replies

Oliveview

Not nice things to bring home Miki
« on: May 01, 2012, 13:58 »
This morning, as usual, the cats are let out, Miki goes over the gate and into the olivegrove next to our house..... he comes back when called for breakfast.  This morning I put the food outside on the table and as he jumped up I noticed LOADS of fleas and ticks on him..... I took off over 80 from around his ears alone.  We found out later on he had been seen playing with a young rabbit that had myxi (?) so the neighbour killed the rabbit.  The cats are now banished for the day to the garage as they can both open the bedroom window and I do not want fleas in my bed!! Since they have been in the garage I have found another 28 fleas on Miki..... I am itching thinking of them!!  It is a bank holiday here today, so first thing tomorrow hubby is off to town to buy flea and tick treatment for them all (2 cats and 2 dogs) 
We got the cats as we keep getting rats nest under the patio at the end of the garden, do they catch them?  no! I guess an ill flea/tick ridden rabbit is easier.

Pamela

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Re: Not nice things to bring home Miki
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 14:33 »
oh no fleas are horrid things and cats are the worst for bringing them home  ::) Ticks aswell ugh! Good luck getting rid of them all  nasty little blighters  :)

evie2

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 21:04 »
Unfortunately it's that it's that time of year again  :(   
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 23:19 »
Mili is not happy at being shut in the garage, I will spray them tomorrow and leave them in the garage till Thursday morning (it is a big garage and they have a pile of blankets and a cushion to sit on) then hopefully the flea/tick stuff will be working!

Pamela

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 23:37 »
It's very rare for rabbits to get ticks or fleas, however, having said that an ill rabbit may well be susceptible. Usually rabbits gets fleas from a cat or dog rather than the other way around.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:54 »
What about rabbits in the wild?  Miki had no sign of them before he went off and found his rabbit!

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:08 »
I believe it's true of wild ones too, but if it had myxi it would be susceptible to picking stuff up.

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43 »
The amount of fleas I got off Miki (over 120 when I gave up counting)  the rabbit must have been a walking fleas nest, poor thing.  The neighbour said the rabbits eyes were extreemly bad and the poor thing was so thin. 

Pamela

ps Hubby has just phoned to say he has the drops, so hopefully they will work rapidly!  I don´t like keeping the cats shut in.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 19:50 »
know how you're feeling...shehra had been itching madly since yesterday. washed and cleaned his left inside thigh only to come down this morning to find he'd removed all the hair and was bleeding. booked at the vet who can't be sure but thinks he might have 'mange' from the foxes on the lotty.....

£138 for antibio's, collar, advocat and consultation.....3 weeks to see if it starts to clear, then possibly 2 months more on bio's...if no change £160 for allergy and mange test.

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 20:03 »
Poor Shehra, I used to keep guineapigs, I wish I could remember what I bathed them with when they had mange.  Miki and Mili have been done, Miki was laying on the shelf in the sun,he wasn´t bothered, Mili was trying her best to get out  the garage door! For the sake if your wallet alone I hope Shehra is better soon, animals are almost as expensive as running a car!   

Pamela

upnorth

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:34 »
It's very rare for rabbits to get ticks or fleas, however, having said that an ill rabbit may well be susceptible. Usually rabbits gets fleas from a cat or dog rather than the other way around.

I shoot rabbits and quite often see fleas on them. But I can't say I have ever seen a tick.

Thrift

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:27 »
know how you're feeling...shehra had been itching madly since yesterday. washed and cleaned his left inside thigh only to come down this morning to find he'd removed all the hair and was bleeding. booked at the vet who can't be sure but thinks he might have 'mange' from the foxes on the lotty.....

£138 for antibio's, collar, advocat and consultation.....3 weeks to see if it starts to clear, then possibly 2 months more on bio's...if no change £160 for allergy and mange test.

Wow!! Some of these vet's fees seem outrageous to me.

When we had greyhounds in England we would occasionally have dogs arriving with mange. They were given a bath with a medicated shampoo ( I can't remember the name ) and then the mange was treated with benzyl benzoate. Of course, they had to be isolated and strict hygiene adhered to.

It is important to take care not to pick it up yourself, it will get into any cuts or grazes and cause scabies.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35 »
thank you pamela...

you're right they are expensive to keep and i'll bet i'm not the only one who gets told at the checkout that our mob get better fed than we do ourselves!

he's sleeping now as are the other two....his brother currently has hot spots.....its not just one thing..it comes in hoards not threes :)

i personally don't think its mange...there are lumps like bite marks...i think he's been bitten by something in the grass and as he's long haired, its treated his fur as a guest house. when he was a pup he had 3 mosquito bites on his ankle which he rubbed raw...in the end the only thing  that helped was diluted dettol. the other two aren't showing any similar symptoms.

vet said not to continually bathe him but i'm thinking about going to pets at home and buying a medicated shampoo.

hope the critters have been RIP'ed and the kitties allowed back into VIP roles  :lol:

thank you thrift....am being careful...have to take insulin occasionally so am being very cautious.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:37 by shetan »

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:45 »
Our English Setter Rosie wears a flea collar, has Advantix drops once a month and is regularly "molly-coddled" to remove any little flat ticks from her rather fine feathering!  She does like the "beauty-treatments" as she is a very hands on dog that likes cuddles etc.,  Living out here in the campo is the right environment for the blasted ticks and fleas.  Have not seen fleas on her thankfully (yet) just the ticks.  The Advantix drops help prevent the ticks "latching" on and feeding, just remove and squash with a slight crunch straight away though otherwise they will crawl away quite quickly!!!  She is also undergoing preventative injections for Leishmanias disease - 3 injections and 3 weekly intervals (at 40 euros a shot!)  Our friend's dog has this disease and it is very unpleasant as it destroys the functions of all internal organs - particularly the kidneys.  Us Brits do love our animals and will move heaven and earth sometimes to see them happy and healthy.  Our vet Almu is a lovely lady and very helpful.
Now what shall I do today?

Oliveview

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 22:13 »
The cats went out today, boy were they happy thay ran about the garden like mad things.  It is nice though not to have them sleeping on the bathroom anymore, it is only tiny, so thier bed and litter tray took up a lot of room.  It would be good to leave them to run free in the house at night, but they like the leather sofa to use as a scratching post  :mad: :ohmy:

benzyl benzoate  was what I bathed the guinea pigs with  :)

Pamela

xx
Miki has come home with a cut on his belly

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:53
by Oliveview
xx
Miki is learning

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 11:01
by ANHBUC
xx
Miki very poorly, he had to go to vet

23 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 07:40
by Oliveview
xx
Our big kitten Miki went missing

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 10:31
by spottymint

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 28 queries.