Advice on weed killer

• 19 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Advice on weed killer
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:41 »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good weed killer please, never had to use it before until now being my first year on the lottie. It will not be used where I'm growing crops but need to use around the entrance to my plot etc.

Also can you dilute in a watering can?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice on weed killer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:51 »
The main chemical in weedkillers these days is glyphosate.

You can buy it either pre-mixed, or as a concentrate which you dilute as per instructions.   It is usually applied either through a sprayer or watering can.  Apply to plants in active growth (i.e. don't strim first), when the foliage is dry and when the rain will hold off for at least 6 hours.  Make sure it isn't windy either.

The plant absorbs the glyphosate into its system and dies within usually about 2 weeks.  You can then dig it up.  Glyphosate is inert on contact with the soil so there's no delay in replanting.

The best known branded version is roundup, but you can get own brand stuff cheaper.  Resolva includes a second chemical (diquat) which kills the top growth off sooner, so that you can see where you've been.  I've always had difficulties getting the dosage of Resolva right, but others are very impressed with it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 13:20 »
Roundup is a quite expensive glyphosate preparation. A much more economical glyphosate form is Gallup. It'll be on sale in farm-service outlets at about £30 for 5 litres of concentrate (you mix it at 20ml per litre of water so it'll last you a good few years!)

Best way of putting it is that Roundup is for the hobbyist gardener and Gallup is for the professional

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 13:35 »
A much more economical glyphosate form is Gallup. It'll be on sale in farm-service outlets at about £30 for 5 litres of concentrate (you mix it at 20ml per litre of water so it'll last you a good few years!)

Its rather dearer than that and a number of similar brands exist. But as you say, it is for professional use.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 14:10 »
Just checked, I paid £37, so you're correct

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 14:13 »

How does "Pathclear" compare ?   ::)   Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 14:24 »
Path Clear stays active in soil etc for about six months to kill new seedlings etc. Glyphosate acts on foliage and is deactivated on contact with soil

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 15:23 »
As Alan says, Pathclear contains additional chemicals to prevent regrowth.

I suspect you'd find the chemicals are not licensed for areas where edible plants are grown - but even if there wasn't a licensing issue, I wouldn't want it near my garden / lotty because of the risk of walking it into the growing areas.

Finally, Alan, I think we've mentioned before that this is a forum for amateur gardeners.  Please do not recommend professional use chemicals again.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 16:14 »
Yorkie, the weedkiller with the unmentionable name is of identical composition to Roundup. However as small-holders etc as well as AlaninCarlisle are unwilling to pay garden-centre or DIY outlets' prices for the larger volumes they use, they choose to buy a product whose price isn't overloaded with advertising, packaging and other marketing costs

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 16:25 »
Alan you miss my point, whether deliberately or otherwise.

Please do not recommend products which are not legal for amateurs to buy or use.  This forum does not condone this, as you are well aware.  These are the rules for this site.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 17:03 »
Yorkie, of course I'll abide by the rules of this site, however I do not believe that this product is illegal for amateurs to buy and use. Indeed I bought it freely at a local farming supplies shop as do other people I know in our neighbourhood

However, an alternative economy suggestion that avoids any hint of being a professional product is that readers may consider buying Bayer Garden Glyphosate at about £18 for 18 sachets online from Amazon and others

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 17:15 »
only time will tell but last week i used a blow torch to burn off a few docks in my path i let the flame burn down into the root not sure if it will do the trick
john
John
A gardeners work is never done.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 17:26 »
Plot 74, I can tell you from personal experience that a blowtorch will not permanently kill docks

grinling

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 17:44 »
Weedkillers were frown upon our plots esp when they accidently went on other peoples crop. Check to see if it is alright first.
Also do not compost weed afterwards as people are finding the weedkiller is still active.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 18:04 »
Plot 74, I can tell you from personal experience that a blowtorch will not permanently kill docks
one method i have found to kill them is hot tea out of my flask. i had a couple growing at the base of my shed as i could not get in to dig them out i used the last cup full along with the tea bags and tipped it straight onto the plant it did take 2 or 3 goes but they have not come back.the blow torch was just another experiment at least i cant see them anymore.
i will attack them with the tea when they return but it will yake some time to get them all.
john

xx
Weed killer: just how bad is it?

Started by harveypooka on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 15:00
by LilacSandy
xx
Weed Killer!?

Started by weathergirl on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 21:25
by weathergirl
xx
weed killer

Started by NinjaMonkey on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 22:08
by DD.
xx
weed killer in jan ?

Started by smellykipper on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 11:14
by Baldy

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 30 queries.