Gardening centre plants

• 27 Replies

Totty

Re: Gardening centre plants
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 20:15 »
Unless you have a massive family there is no need for 30 kale plants. Give some plants to friends and use the room for something else!

Totty

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 20:38 »
I've put in twelve kale seeds and I'm hoping they don't all come up! Half that will be enough but wanted to account for any failures.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 21:02 »
Both my son and myself work in g c different ones and to be honest people amaze me a strip of six carrot plants £1.29 . one chap came in saying he wanted to grow a few veg well four packets of seeds and two hundred pounds later on every thing from pots to mini green houses  :unsure: we started selling tomato plants 1st week of march and they sold out my son came home with some runner beans that some had a touch of frost destined for the skip . they had 8 beans in a 3ins pot Been sown to layers deep and virtualy immpossible to separate .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 00:33 »
All youse peeps who are buying lettuce plants.....don't forget the trick of buying a small tray of cut-and-come-again lettuce (Lidl have a nice mix) which cost £1 or so for about 50 plants!!!
Just need to tease them out gently and pop them into a couple of troughs and you have mixed lettuce.
The Lidl's ones I bought late last year over-wintered outside and are now huge hearty lettuce and I've been picking continuously!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 07:57 »
See that's the thing about having a loty, you have to try and think what you want/need way in advance, and then if you decide you want X and its too late to seed or plant, then its the supermarket! being this is my first year, I dont know how much I need, its a total guess as to how much I want and need and then plant out, but im sure I will know better next year!

I work in a garden centre and that's exactly why I sometimes pick up veg plants from work Dopey.  I've been growing veg for ages and sow a lot from seed, but sometimes you miscalculate and just need a few lettuce  :)

People have all sorts of reasons for buying them.  Some of my customers are elderly and have arthritic hands that make seeds fiddly, or live alone or just want a few bits in pots to pick.  Others have trouble with some seeds and like the reassurance of buying a plant - cucumbers go like hot cakes when they come in as they are past the sucicidal seedling stage or if they do die, I'll replace them. 

Baby plants are also good for teaching impatient small folk about veg growing as they need to see some green immediately.  Parents often tell me that they have cracked the 'getting them to eat their veg problems' with a few pots of homegrown stuff the kids have tended themselves.

If you buy from a DIY shed, then you won't get much help, but in a decent garden centre there will be signs warning what is frost tender and hopefully people on hand to talk you through what to do  ;)  Must admit I don't understand the mania for runner beans in April either, but I think most of the rest is a valid product if it suits your needs  :)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 13:58 »
I would champion garden centres more often than not as have many of them invaluable in terms of help/expertise and tips. I have no problem with them making money at all if they provide a good service.

There is a lot of snobbery, snootyness and such about garden centres with folk quick to put them down - sure, sometimes plants are sold off (albeit very cheaply) at the end of a season and there might then be little chance of success, and at times things can be sold at other odd/very early times. But you takes your chance - although one would hope people would be able to do a bit of research before grabbing whatever is there to be sold to see if it suits them or if it is likely to grow on successfully. Although picking on the spot can be fun if you are not hung up on success/failure.

But not everyone has the inclination (and nor should they have to have) or the space to being able to sow their own seeds. And some do not have financial "restraints" to necessitate seed-sowing rather than plants. Those of us who do have space etc are lucky but it is easy to be smug when some of us can sit back and (not necessarily intentionally) "rubbish" those who do rely on bought-in plants. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 16:32 »
I don't think anyone on here is rubbishing those who buy in plants.  I always have to resort to buying red cabbage plants as my seed-sown ones get eaten or otherwise die!

The main issue is with those garden centres which sell frost tender plants so early - and without associated warnings - that anyone putting them outside on purchase is doomed to failure.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 16:40 »
They start them under ideal conditions in heated greenhouses, mostly for the gullible trade. People see these and think: oh, fabulous - I'll pop them into the garden right away and I'll harvest much sooner.

Not true. Consider late frosts, cold soil, early pests looking for anything edible, etc, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster. Which is what the garden centres count on, that you'll be back soon to replace the fallen.

Be patient with yours and keep nurturing them and they'll get even stronger than gc ones.

And they're so expensive too!  :tongue2: Went out a couple of weeks ago and saw 6 iceberg lettuce @ £2.99 & some very unwell looking cues @ £1.49 each.  :ohmy:

I must confess though to buying some plug plants from Aldi (6 baby plum toms @ £1.99 and 15 iceberg lettuce @ £1.99) but tbh was as much for the cells set in water gel for re-using (re-used the lettuce cells and just pricked out 60 little gems).  :D

Those really are excellent cells aren't they?

I sowed chillis and peppers in them earlier in the year, and have just sowed pinches of basil seed today, to plant out in our giant cloche-thingy in a few weeks' time  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 16:44 »
I don't think anyone on here is rubbishing those who buy in plants.  I always have to resort to buying red cabbage plants as my seed-sown ones get eaten or otherwise die!

The main issue is with those garden centres which sell frost tender plants so early - and without associated warnings - that anyone putting them outside on purchase is doomed to failure.

Exactly Yorkie!

Don't know who, if anyone, actually started selling tender plants so early, but of course no GC can afford to be left behind so they're all at it now!  :ohmy:

I suspect that many of the people most likely to buy ready-grown plants are also likely to be those least likely to know how to look after them.)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Auntiemogs

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 18:15 »

Those really are excellent cells aren't they?

I sowed chillis and peppers in them earlier in the year, and have just sowed pinches of basil seed today, to plant out in our giant cloche-thingy in a few weeks' time  :D :D
They are great Sunshine.  Just replaced the gel in one of mine and sowed some dwarf stocks.  Certainly saves watering when they get going and makes the roots so much easier to untangle. Going to experiment with a couple of mini-plug trays I have now.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 18:19 »
It certainly means a more consistent level of water and as you say less watering. I was bit dubious to start with as the actual cell is so small, but they work a treat.

I am going to try to work out a way with both mini plugs and the nine hole size modules, which wold be useful for sowing squashes into

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 22:47 »
my neighbour bought 6 trays of begonias and planted them out in tubs and hanging baskets :ohmy: I pointed out the dangers and at least they are now fleeced ::)
Fingers crossed they make it, but it's not fair that there are no warnings on the packs  >:(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 09:25 »
I have a terrible, terrible addiction and affliction to buying young veg plants that I dont need.

for example: I have 10 or so kale plants growing from seed at home.......... so i notice a strip with about ten more in it.... oooo a bargain at £2 I decide..........................but who needs 20 kale plants. man i am an idiot

Oops ...I've got about 15 Curly Kale and about the same Cavolo Nero just planted.
I didn't realise this would be too many!  Ah well I do like it.

I hope so... they will be with you for quite a while  :D

xx
repotting reduced strawberry plants from garden centre

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 07:55
by little sweetpeas
xx
Plants on sale at my local garden centre - would I just be wasting my money?

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 16:59
by JohnB47
xx
Garden centre allotments

Started by woodsmoke on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:54
by mumofstig
xx
good garden centre near Hay on Wye?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 19:13
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 30 queries.