Gardening centre plants

• 27 Replies

Dopey113

Gardening centre plants
« on: April 19, 2012, 15:08 »
On the way back from the plot (didn't do anything too wet, but just had a look to make sure it was all fine, and the water butt is full again) went in to my local GC, its handy, cuz I pass it going to and from the plot, had a look at the veg plants, there all massive, and I was thinking that cant be right to be that big so early, OR I'm doing it all wrong, these things were at least 3in tall (old money) and mine look pathetic in comparison, mine are on the windowsill mostly (starting off) then in to the poly, then outside, I have a load of brassicas out already, they seem to be healthy and happy enough, but should the GC ones really be so big? or are mine small?
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Trillium

Re: Gardening centre plants
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 15:12 »
They start them under ideal conditions in heated greenhouses, mostly for the gullible trade. People see these and think: oh, fabulous - I'll pop them into the garden right away and I'll harvest much sooner.

Not true. Consider late frosts, cold soil, early pests looking for anything edible, etc, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster. Which is what the garden centres count on, that you'll be back soon to replace the fallen.

Be patient with yours and keep nurturing them and they'll get even stronger than gc ones.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 18:15 »
Its all tied up to profits, as a grower explained to me they have three sowings of veggi 1st is a bit of a lost leader costs a lot due to the heat used in growing , but there is a demand there for them , next comes the main crop , for the more experienced  gardener , then the cream on the cake a final sowing for all those who brought early and lost them, or those who forgot to water/ over watered the main crop
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 19:08 »
They start them under ideal conditions in heated greenhouses, mostly for the gullible trade. People see these and think: oh, fabulous - I'll pop them into the garden right away and I'll harvest much sooner.

Not true. Consider late frosts, cold soil, early pests looking for anything edible, etc, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster. Which is what the garden centres count on, that you'll be back soon to replace the fallen.

Be patient with yours and keep nurturing them and they'll get even stronger than gc ones.

And they're so expensive too!  :tongue2: Went out a couple of weeks ago and saw 6 iceberg lettuce @ £2.99 & some very unwell looking cues @ £1.49 each.  :ohmy:

I must confess though to buying some plug plants from Aldi (6 baby plum toms @ £1.99 and 15 iceberg lettuce @ £1.99) but tbh was as much for the cells set in water gel for re-using (re-used the lettuce cells and just pricked out 60 little gems).  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Totty

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 21:03 »
The GC will take advantage of the less experienced by selling nice large plants that are a month or more early. As already said, they will probably be lost when planted out. I have also seen carrots in strips for sale. It is beyond me why anybody would buy these. GC have a place in my growing but only very rarely and if say, a whole load of my plants are lost and its too late to resow.

Totty

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 22:28 »
The GC will take advantage of the less experienced by selling nice large plants that are a month or more early. As already said, they will probably be lost when planted out. I have also seen carrots in strips for sale. It is beyond me why anybody would buy these. GC have a place in my growing but only very rarely and if say, a whole load of my plants are lost and its too late to resow.

Totty

I saw parsnips in a long thin pack. Seems madness to me. I did buy a small chilli pepper plant however, but it was only 98p and seems to be one of those things that are better done early.

Robster

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 22:51 »
This old garden centre trick really makes me angry.  I saw runner beans about 6-8 inches tall in mid march looking too crowded at that stage.  Somebody must buy them.  Having said that I had a strip of 20 cos lettuce for £2 to put in as mine were not that big at the time.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 22:53 »
I to bought a little chilli plant the other day, spooky  ???
The only other plants I buy is tomato plants as I have never bothered doing them from seed.
I got 8 tomato plugs for £1.99 last week.
I might try them from seed next year.

I to have noticed this year for the first time that a lot of garden centres are selling veg plants. I came across cabbages, sprouts, cauliflower and three or four other veg types but they all seemed very leggy to me.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 23:21 »
I have a terrible, terrible addiction and affliction to buying young veg plants that I dont need.

for example: I have 10 or so kale plants growing from seed at home.......... so i notice a strip with about ten more in it.... oooo a bargain at £2 I decide..........................but who needs 20 kale plants. man i am an idiot
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Robster

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 23:34 »
Richrua- there are worse addictions than compulsive veg plant buying.  I have compulsive oversowing disorder as well.  Theres no way I need twenty five tomato plants!  Good job there are always friends.

I have had some good things from the Garden centres before.  My best was about 100 muselburgh leeks for a couple of quid to grow on.  cheaper than the seeds- well not quite but I was happy enough

Dopey113

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 15:34 »
So what is safe to get from the GC right now, some things I didn't get seeds for is... beetroot, broccoli  & parsnips, and now I want some... is it too late for seeds now, or is it best to get plants?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 15:40 »
not too late to sow any of those!
As soon as you can for the 'snips but the rest will be fine whenever you get round to it  ;)

Agatha

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 15:52 »
Richrua- there are worse addictions than compulsive veg plant buying.  I have compulsive oversowing disorder as well.  Theres no way I need twenty five tomato plants!  Good job there are always friends.

I have 148 Gardener's Delight plants grown from seed (to be fair, the packet did say 80 seeds, but it's still way too many...)
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Dopey113

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 16:08 »
See that's the thing about having a loty, you have to try and think what you want/need way in advance, and then if you decide you want X and its too late to seed or plant, then its the supermarket! being this is my first year, I dont know how much I need, its a total guess as to how much I want and need and then plant out, but im sure I will know better next year!

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 16:35 »
I have a terrible, terrible addiction and affliction to buying young veg plants that I dont need.

for example: I have 10 or so kale plants growing from seed at home.......... so i notice a strip with about ten more in it.... oooo a bargain at £2 I decide..........................but who needs 20 kale plants. man i am an idiot

Oops ...I've got about 15 Curly Kale and about the same Cavolo Nero just planted.
I didn't realise this would be too many!  Ah well I do like it.
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

xx
repotting reduced strawberry plants from garden centre

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 07:55
by little sweetpeas
xx
Plants on sale at my local garden centre - would I just be wasting my money?

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 16:59
by JohnB47
xx
Garden centre allotments

Started by woodsmoke on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:54
by mumofstig
xx
good garden centre near Hay on Wye?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 19:13
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 39 queries.